LimeWatch UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the massive amounts of flowers I think it may be a good like year. Still a while to go before they open though

Need the temps up for lime and the more warm humid nights the better. The lime in my neck of the woods last year flowered in the only cooler/wet week we had in June. By the time those few days had past the best of it was done.

Looking at the massive amounts of flowers I think it may be a good like year. Still a while to go before they open though

The amount of flowers has little to do with it Enrico. Lime nectar is secreted early doors into an open flower ...if the weather is hot it's dried up by 11 O'clockish and of no use to bees.
You need very warm extremely humid conditions for lime to yield for bees. (And yes I know it happened for you one year:) )
I have 6 very mature lime tress within a couple of hundred yards of my garden apiary...every year they have masses and masses of flowers...I've yet to find a honey bee working them..Lots of other insects going bonkers for the aphids and whatever but no honey bees.
In my naivety many moons back I took a couple of hives to a garden that faces onto an avenue of about 60 Lime trees all in flower....got a lovely honey...but not a single lime pollen grain was found in it...about 80% broad bean.

I don't doubt what you say, beefriendly, however it happened again last year on the same trees, unfortunately, due to house move, my hives weren't there but a friend's were. It is worth the wait for that perfect weather. But whatever the weather, you need the flowers to make it happen!
E

I don't doubt what you say, beefriendly, however it happened again last year on the same trees, unfortunately, due to house move, my hives weren't there but a friend's were. It is worth the wait for that perfect weather. But whatever the weather, you need the flowers to make it happen!
E
Quite.
My journey to and from my work location yesterday took me through many streets lined with mature Limes. Apart from one particular tree in Saint Athan, I've never seen so many flowers.

At least two beekeepers in agreement that you need flowers for bees to make honey from.
This must be the advanced class.

Are you just trying to kill our enthusiasm? My glass is always half full.......
:)

Plenty of Limes near me, whole roads lined with them and i have had Lime honey from them. Last year nothing, too dry both rain and humidity. Nearest road had all the lines cut back over the winter so have hardly any foliage let alone flower buds. That said plenty of Limes within 500 to 1km. Fingers crossed.

Well you can smell the lime in the hives on an evening for starters

Only if you add polos to the sugar syrup

Aye...well it's not like lime honey then.
It's a major characteristic.....

Well you can smell the lime in the hives on an evening for starters

Its american in origin, but an interesting read.

Lime honey when very fresh has a greenish color, but after a time it becomes clear to amber with a yellow tone. The aroma is described as woody, pharmacy and fresh, also described as mint, balsamic, menthol and camphor. It has low acidity, medium sweet and sometimes a light bitterness. It has a persistent aftertaste and is slightly astringent. The crystallization rate is medium to fast with fine to medium sized crystals. Other aromatic notes (see chemical analysis below): spicy-thyme, mentholated, geranium, hay, phenolic.

Source: https://www.honeytraveler.com/single-flower-honey/linden-lime-basswood-honey/

For a start it has a green tinge. It is crystal clear if pure and never sets
E

Latest posts

Back