LimeWatch UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a long row of roadside lime trees about 30 metres from my garden. I have watched these carefully in past years and never seen my bees working them. However, yesterday lunchtime I had the glasses trained on them and I could clearly see many bees working the crown of the trees and flying back to the hives. It gives me great confidence for a harmonious relationship between bees and lime trees this year.

I have a long row of roadside lime trees about 30 metres from my garden. I have watched these carefully in past years and never seen my bees working them. However, yesterday lunchtime I had the glasses trained on them and I could clearly see many bees working the crown of the trees and flying back to the hives. It gives me great confidence for a harmonious relationship between bees and lime trees this year.

I like the idea of a 'harmonious relationship' and some delightful weather.

I walk past 2 on my regular dog walk. 1 of them is in full flower and buzzing nicely as you walk nearby. The other is still tightly budded and showing no sign of flowers - it is ooh, at least 40 m away from the others!!

Anyone seen any evidence of the nectar flow starting in London yet? checked a tree yesterday but flowers felt dry and couldn't hear any buzzing...

Buds are swelling here in Rutland .. but no flowers yet

To make up for its excessive optimism and annoying inaccuracy?

A friend used to work at the meteorological office and she said to collate seven or eight forecasts and if they all agreed they would probably be right :)
If they didn't then "take your pick"

Much as I hate to say it, when I used to sail regularly over to France, the french met office were noticably more accurate than our British counterparts..

OK for Hampshire but I appreciate less use further north !

Ready to explode in west Hampshire, and with a bit of luck it'll all go bang this weekend.

Yeah....today they are opening.....the weather should encourage a good flow, pity I'm running out of supers! Must extract ASAP!

No, everything round me (N6) is in bud still

Just read the current BBKA journal with what I consider an excellent article by an experienced urban beekeeper expressing the view that urban trees and shrubs are far more important nectar sources than contrived "wildflower meadows"

Trees are always a more valuable nectar source unless you are talking fields if crops!

Hi how long did it take to fill the 2 supers and are they capped ?

second super half full, they drew it in a week and half filled it in about 4 days, first completely full and being capped now. Added the third to give them space. Honey tastes quite citrus like.

Of the hives that had empty drawn supers added a week ago they are now approximately three quarters full and the broods heavy with nectar. I would say the limes near me have peaked and will start to reduce but keep going for another seven days.

Roola - any railway land/embankments near you? blackberry brambles are covered in blossom

Back