Likely discounts at Stoneleigh

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBG

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Polystyrene & lots more next year again hopefully
Does anyone have an idea what the discounts for placing an order for hives etc at Stoneleigh, or any Honey Show for that matter, are likely to be or have been.

Much appreciated

very to be honest.

basicly all the main suppliers will be there with pallet loads of second quality equipment which is normal half price, which is what the main ruckus is for.

but unless you go in there with a small army of helpers it is impossible to get enough gear together to make a big purchase.

i would exspect a single person with one friend to be able to gab at the most 10 to 15 , packs of fifty frames, supers or broods, but after gabbing them by the time you get to the pallet of super boxes they will be all gone.

as for every thing else basicly someone like th***** will set up a mobile shop inside the one hall with every thing they carry as stock and most if not all of it will NOT BE DISCOUNTED but book price

some of the other suppliers will have 10 % knocked off or like me you will be able to physicly see or try out what you were thinking of buying off the net.

clothes and suits and gloves are best brought that way as someones large is another mans medium.

the main rush will start when the doors open at 9 am and is pretty well finished by 10am and then every one piles the gear into the car and starts to behave normaly again rather than animals.

the second big part of the show is the wax converstion which used to be the main part for me to go, outside the halls in the grassed areas there will be several companys kbs and th******** and a few others that are set up to do the exchanging.

you after walking a round the show go to the car grab your box of reclaimed wax wonder off to who ever you want to deal with,, stand ina que for ten miniuts and then they wiegh what you have and tell you whats availble. i would normaly go for 1/3 brood and two thirds super as a ratio depending on whats needed. some times you can ask for a money voucher and go inside to thier stall and spend it there or you can if you want go to the tent and buy wax for your self to use rather than bringing it in.

my way of working it is that the tickets are £20 say so i want to ave that amount with what i an buying so to me i would like to buy two sets of 50 frames and in that way i save what i spent for the ticket.

now the next part is does it pay?

personaly i am a first quality user in my brood chambers as they get so much abuse and there fore i dont pay i use seconds in the supers as they are easily cost effective, and i dont buy hive parts premade as i am a cheap skate.

forgot to say if you want to get towards the front of the rush you would have to be at stoneliegh and outside the doors by AT LEST 8 AM as by 9 the ques are 300 yards long.

and dont forget that the pallets of seconds is a fixed amount, first come first served , when its gome its gone there is not an indeffinate supply.
try to be polite and nice and people will trample you into the ground to get to the frames

i would much rather see the discounted frames stored outside and make them only have so many per person and to mmake it far more safer and civilised, and to also stop all the greed

Pete, I disagree, I think it will be nothing like years gone by, the Winter sales show the trend at present and I suspect ppl will be dissapointed - imho

Thanks for that all and yes Pete by the time you add in entrance, fuel, meals out, B&B it's a lot to cover.

On top, as you say it's for inferior products.

Cheers

Very interesting replies for myself who was planning on attending for the first time. My main aim was the experience and to look what the different suppliers have on offer although I have a few items on my shopping list if they are offered / available at the right price!

Very interesting replies for myself who was planning on attending for the first time. My main aim was the experience and to look what the different suppliers have on offer although I have a few items on my shopping list if they are offered / available at the right price!

exactly, its good fun and great event to meet ppl etc, just don't expect to save buckets of cash

exactly, its good fun and great event to meet ppl etc, just don't expect to save buckets of cash

I never intended on trying to save cash / pick up bargains, I bought most of the equipment I need this year in the winter sales. I just wanted to meet suppliers and have a look at new things that may interest me such as Poly hives.

Also in the past I have always been away working during the time it was on so this year was the 1st time I have chance to attend. ;)

Latest posts

Back