Lighting a Smoker in the Open

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goodness, you cool bods with self-igniting torches, makes mine seem positively agricultural!

Ah - just frightened of burning my fingers (wimp) lol

I use a match ( remember them?) and use Hessian sacking as fuel, no problems lighting (so far)

Whenever me or the wife are in the supermarket we try to pick up some of those moulded papier mache type sheets that they put the fruit on. That stuff or egg boxes to start and hessian on top, sort of half and half.
A lighter works for me.

only use egg-boxes if I'm looking at one colony, or have run out of hessian sacking. egg boxes are quick to light, but don't last very long, they're OK for just putting on another super, or a clearing board, but for a large colony on 16x10's with 3 supers on it, hessian lasts much longer.

With old sacking left over from the previous time you fired up its very much like tinder, in other words just light it with a match and it should catch straight away.

Try Aldi's "Turbo BBQ lighter" @ £1.79 works a treat.

Product_detail_Wk28T7.jpg

Tho**es cotton smoker fuel is cheap enough and doesn't seem to go out in the field. We use a lighter to light it - catches every time.

A cap full of Meths on the wood shavings, then cigarette lighter.
The propane torch is reserved for lighting the bbq.
Derek owner of 3 primus stoves and 2 tilley lamps.

Latest posts

Back