Leaving honey in a settling bucket

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevo1977

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi Folks,

I currently have about 26kg of extracted honey in an air tight settling bucket with a honey valve. Unfortunately I'm going to have to go away on business and won't be able to decant into jars is it safe to leave in the bucket for 2 weeks?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Hi Folks,

I currently have about 26kg of extracted honey in an air tight settling bucket with a honey valve. Unfortunately I'm going to have to go away on business and won't be able to decant into jars is it safe to leave in the bucket for 2 weeks?

2 weeks 2 years ........
Just make sure that valve doesn't leak ;)

2 weeks 2 years ........
Just make sure that valve doesn't leak ;)

Or the honey is the rapidly rystalising type - have some around here that gets perilously close to setting after a few weeks. Saying that, I think you're safe for two weeks - worse case scenarion, it gets a bit cloudy.

Or the honey is the rapidly rystalising type - have some around here that gets perilously close to setting after a few weeks. Saying that, I think you're safe for two weeks - worse case scenarion, it gets a bit cloudy.

I had one small bucket last year that set in three weeks, well at least it was a very soft set but grainy crystals .. took me completely by surprise as it was runny coming out of the extractor. If the worst case happens then it's into the warming cabinet for a couple of days and it's fine ...

I had one small bucket last year that set in three weeks, well at least it was a very soft set but grainy crystals .. took me completely by surprise as it was runny coming out of the extractor. If the worst case happens then it's into the warming cabinet for a couple of days and it's fine ...

If it isn't runny it won't come out of the extractor.
It's nectar composition determines how soon afterwards it sets.

If it isn't runny it won't come out of the extractor.
It's nectar composition determines how soon afterwards it sets.

I think you know what I meant .. there was none left in the comb which you sometimes get when it has started to crystallise in the comb. I would have expected to see some signs of it setting in the comb if it set that quickly after extraction. I think you might be following RAB's example for correcting minutiae ...... you reminded me ... such a pity we seem to have lost him for good.

I think you know what I meant .. there was none left in the comb which you sometimes get when it has started to crystallise in the comb. I would have expected to see some signs of it setting in the comb if it set that quickly after extraction.

You probably know the honey's in your area far better then I do.
Our OSR honey comes out clean as a whistle but the buckets set within a week. Mind, it sets in the comb if you let it get cold, a case of get it off, get it out and don't mess about.

Hi Folks,

Honey tastes better for allowing to settle and ripen... two weeks is probably not long enough.

High sucrose levels in Oil Seed Rape and Ivy honeys*** will cause it to rapidly set solid in the comb, and if you have managed to extract it will set solid in the settling tank.... simply warm ... 35 degrees should do it.

Chons da

(*** Best left for the bees as in my opinion it tastes like baby sick!:calmdown:)

Honey tastes better for allowing to settle and ripen... two weeks is probably not long enough.

High sucrose levels in Oil Seed Rape and Ivy honeys*** will cause it to rapidly set solid in the comb, and if you have managed to extract it will set solid in the settling tank.... simply warm ... 35 degrees should do it.

Its high levels of glucose in OSR that cause it to set rapidly, not sucrose.
35C won't melt set OSR honey.....well perhaps if you leave it for a few months.

Latest posts

Back