Laying workers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeBird

Lakes bee from Mungrisdale near Keswick
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
4 WBC & 2 Abelo 12 frame national poly
During inspection today found these in one of the hives 😳that I suspected was Q-
I have put a test frame in, but just wanted advice, do you think there are laying workers in the hive?IMG_5779.jpegIMG_5781.jpeg

There are always laying workers in the hive :) If everything looked good last time you inspected (and that was recently), then I'd guess that there's nothing to worry about, but see what happens with your test frame.

James

Come to think of it, if you've not seen the queen or eggs for a while until today then perhaps they've swarmed/superseded and the new queen is just getting the hang of laying? From the first photo, the cells at the "corner" appear to have eggs right at the bottom which might suggest that a queen is present? Needs someone more knowledgeable in the ways of laying workers than me.

James

Come to think of it, if you've not seen the queen or eggs for a while until today then perhaps they've swarmed/superseded and the new queen is just getting the hang of laying? From the first photo, the cells at the "corner" appear to have eggs right at the bottom which might suggest that a queen is present? Needs someone more knowledgeable in the ways of laying workers than me.

James
Thank’s James, yes I wondered about the eggs at the bottom of the cells. I’m hopeful that it is a newly mated Queen starting to lay. I last saw the original Queen on 23rd June and there was a good amount of BIAS at every inspection until 17th July. Haven’t seen any eggs since then, until today. I’m hoping that I have missed a Q cell and there is a mated Queen in the hive 😬🤞
Has anyone else any thoughts on what is happening?

Thank’s James, yes I wondered about the eggs at the bottom of the cells. I’m hopeful that it is a newly mated Queen starting to lay. I last saw the original Queen on 23rd June and there was a good amount of BIAS at every inspection until 17th July. Haven’t seen any eggs since then, until today. I’m hoping that I have missed a Q cell and there is a mated Queen in the hive 😬🤞
Has anyone else any thoughts on what is happening?
Here is a photo I took of multiple eggs in cells in a queenright colony. I was able to see the queen on the comb, so different to your situation. Having said that, I think I'd be too inquisitive not to have a really thorough look for a queen in a situation like this :)

Attachments

• IMG_20211106_085142416.jpg
    IMG_20211106_085142416.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Here is a photo I took of multiple eggs in cells in a queenright colony. I was able to see the queen on the comb, so different to your situation. Having said that, I think I'd be too inquisitive not to have a really thorough look for a queen in a situation like this :)
Yeah I think you’re right to suggest a really careful look through the BB’s. I’ve been searching for a marked Queen, but need to start looking for a younger Queen. Gosh it’s a well populated hive so might be a challenge, I’ll maybe resort to shaking them through a Q excluder or would that be a bit too much for a newly laying Queen?
Every inspection brings a new challenge.
Thanks for your advice

Yeah I think you’re right to suggest a really careful look through the BB’s. I’ve been searching for a marked Queen, but need to start looking for a younger Queen. Gosh it’s a well populated hive so might be a challenge, I’ll maybe resort to shaking them through a Q excluder or would that be a bit too much for a newly laying Queen?
Every inspection brings a new challenge.
Thanks for your advice
How long did it take for your multiple egg laying Queen to settle down?

How long did it take for your multiple egg laying Queen to settle down?
I don't think I had great success with it, but I can't recall it well. It was a weak colony in a poor area. I thought it was because there were not enough bees to keep up with her, but your situation sounds different. I remember Finman commenting (when I posted about it before) along the lines that there may be something wrong with her to lay eggs like that.
Yes, I wouldn't sieve them, perhaps just have another quiet and methodical look. As they haven't had a laying queen for a while, the brood frame you gave them won't hurt.
Here is my queen that laid the multiple eggs. She looked fine to me. :unsure:..

Attachments

• IMG_20211106_085452462.jpg
    IMG_20211106_085452462.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
The first photo...It looks like this multiple eggs are in a queen cup/cell. Is that what I'm seeing?
I find that if I'm trying to identify a Laying Worker event, multiple eggs in a queen cup/cell is a positive diagnosis.
Yes exactly, a dump of eggs in a small Queen cup.
What would you do with them now? any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, feeling out of my depth with this colony 🤦‍♀️

I would shake out the bees and put the combs away. Perhaps wait long enough for the LW brood to emerge.
Surely not worth trying to save the colony.
Thanks Michael, I’m beyond disappointed ☹️ but it’s a learning curve. Do you think that if I shake the bee’s out a good distance from the hive that the LW’s will not make it back and I could put some young brood and eggs from another hive and they might create a Q cell? Just grasping at straws 😬

shake the bee’s out a good distance from the hive that the LW’s will not make it back
All bees can fly, but my guess is that any that have yet to locate to that hive are likely to mooch about and join any colony that will have them.

Shaking at distance is not necessary, and often I dump them on a board leading up to the doorstep of another colony; quite remarkable how they pick up the queenright scent and enter peacefully; do this on a flow only. I smoke the LWs first, in the belief that they will eat honey and offer it when entering the new colony, and so improve acceptance.

could put some young brood and eggs from another hive and they might create a Q cell
Unlikely, as the workers are old and plenty of young nurse bees are needed to produce sufficient royal jelly to produce a good queen.

beyond disappointed
grasping at straws
Relax: this is a minor blip in the season and you have enough colonies to make good, now or next season.

Last edited:
Thanks Michael, I’m beyond disappointed ☹️ but it’s a learning curve. Do you think that if I shake the bee’s out a good distance from the hive that the LW’s will not make it back and I could put some young brood and eggs from another hive and they might create a Q cell? Just grasping at straws 😬
It doesn't work like that. Why would you think that LW's cannot fly back. Sadly you are grasping at straws. Reviving a LW colony is very difficult and seldom works so shake them out and pack the hive away for the time being.

All bees can fly, but my guess is that any that have yet to locate to that hive are likely to mooch about and find another colony to join. Shaking at distance is not necessary, and often I dump them on a board leading up to the doorstep of another colony; quite remarkable how they pick up the queenright scent and enter peacefully.

Do this on a flow only; I smoke the LWs first, in the belief that they will eat honey and offer it when entering the new colony, and so improve acceptance.

Unlikely, as the workers are old and plenty of young nurse bees are needed to produce sufficient royal jelly to produce a good queen.

Relax: this is a minor blip in the season and you have enough colonies to make good, now or next season.
Thank you for your advice, it’s a good sunny day here today and there is a flow on so I’ll get the job done. If I leave there original hive in situ and close up the entrance will that be ok, or do I need to deconstruct the hive?

It doesn't work like that. Why would you think that LW's cannot fly back. Sadly you are grasping at straws. Reviving a LW colony is very difficult and seldom works so shake them out and pack the hive away for the time being.
I read somewhere, I think it was The Apiarist that the LW are often unable to fly back to the hive due to the egg burden they are carrying.

Do you think that if I shake the bee’s out a good distance from the hive that the LW’s will not make it back
no, that's just a myth, all workers can fly, many workers, even in queenright colonies lay eggs. shake them out in front of other hives, they vwill beg their way in and the strong queen pheromones in their new home will supress the laying instinct - the egg police will sort out the rest

no, that's just a myth, all workers can fly, many workers, even in queenright colonies lay eggs. shake them out in front of other hives, they vwill beg their way in and the strong queen pheromones in their new home will supress the laying instinct - the egg police will sort out the rest
👍.
I have 2 hopelessly Queenless hives with Queen’s arriving on Friday, thinking i will wait until I’ve got them introduced before shaking LW hive out?

Latest posts

Back