Laying workers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pembroke

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
None
A thought brought on by another thread I wonder, and it is just a question, I don't know the answer. Would a laying worker lay drones this time of year as they're not needed in the hive? Or would the 'lay' imperative override the 'no drones' one.

A thought brought on by another thread I wonder, and it is just a question, I don't know the answer. Would a laying worker lay drones this time of year as they're not needed in the hive? Or would the 'lay' imperative override the 'no drones' one.
They lay because they can - it's not a particular urge to create drones, just bees, it's why the cells aren't enlarged just the cappings get extended
I can't see there being a reason for them to stop laying.
I thought he was asking if laying workers continue to lay at this time of the year .......??
No, the implication was whether they would stop because drones were no longer needed

I have overwintered quite many hives without a queen. The hives did not have laying workers or drones Next Spring.

But if the hive has unmated queen, it will have lots of drone brood in Spring.

I have overwintered quite many hives without a queen. The hives did not have laying workers or drones Next Spring.

But if the hive has unmated queen, it will have lots of drone brood in Spring.
That's interesting. Did you know for sure that the colony was without a queen as you went into winter, or did you discover in spring that they were queenless?

That's interesting. Did you know for sure that the colony was without a queen as you went into winter, or did you discover in spring that they were queenless?
I knew before winter that those hives are queenless. I tried to change the queen, and they killed all what I offered.

Latest posts

Back