Drone laying queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I'm trying to work out if I have a drone laying queen or laying worker. I understand that a drone laying queen will only lay one egg in a cell,but a laying worker multiple eggs. I haven't seen eggs ,but I have seen only one grub in each cell. Does that confirm it's a drone laying queen?
Thanks for any help.

I'm trying to work out if I have a drone laying queen or laying worker. I understand that a drone laying queen will only lay one egg in a cell,but a laying worker multiple eggs. I haven't seen eggs ,but I have seen only one grub in each cell. Does that confirm it's a drone laying queen?
Thanks for any help.
This is a photo from a colony of mine that developed laying workers....
That's all drone brood.

Attachments

• IMG_20230314_094458738_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20230314_094458738_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
A DLQ might still have a good laying pattern, so you could see lots of drone cells grouped together across the face of the comb. When I've seen comb from laying workers the drone cells have been dotted about all over the place. I suspect that if there are sufficient workers left they will remove extra eggs in cells laid up by laying workers, so having one larvae per cell probably isn't an indicator one way or the other.

It's not something I have a huge amount of experience with though (thankfully), so don't take that as gospel.

James

when you inspected did you find frames drone brood, drone cappings in the main brood area where you would expect worker brood?

Thanks for the replies. So drone brood in the main brood area and although the brood pattern is not completely compact its not as random as in Antipodes picture.

Picture of drone brood.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20230429-142610.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230429-142610.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back