Laying Space and Fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenovice

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My bees had a really good weekend collecting loads of pollen. I didn't do a full inspection, but I checked on fondant and it had all gone. I replaced with another small block of fondant. Through the holes in the crown board I could see there were uncapped stores still available.
My question is what do the bees do with the fondant. Do they use it as they need it, or do they take it down and store in the BB. If the latter, then do I have to consider the lack of space issue.
I am well aware that we are not out of the woods in terms of cold weather, and I would hate them to starve at this late stage. However, I wouldn't like to think that I was taking up brood space either.
I haven't done a full inspection, as I still think it is a little early.

What do you guys think?

Hi beenovice,

Firstly please do not ask the same question in more than one thread as no one has got round to replying (http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28223)

AFAIK I have been told that bees will not store fondant and only use it as and when they need it.
Having said that with my experience over a few years I wouldn't count on anything as far as bees are concerned!

Although it is sage advice NOT to inspect too early I personally used the perfect weather (15+ degs. and almost wind still) of yesterday to check on colony strength / amount of stores.
This can be as little as lifting the crownboard to a quick check of a few frames.
Alternatively if you heft a hive you can tell if it is still heavy with stores or getting light.

I found a mix of colonies with almost too many stores (in Poly hives) to a few colonies that have too few stores.

If the weather is good and you have a real reason for inspecting (briefly) to check if a colony is queen right or the amount of stores then I personally would take the opportunity.

AFAIK I have been told that bees will not store fondant and only use it as and when they need it.
Having said that with my experience over a few years I wouldn't count on anything as far as bees are concerned!

If placed on the hive in late summer or early in the autumn (August or September) then the colony will usually take the fondant down and store it in the same way as they would sugar syrup; if put on later, then it is often left on the excluder and consumed as required. This fondant was placed on the hive on 10 September 2002 and the photograph was taken on 4 November 2002 when most of the fondant had been taken down and stored.

http://www.stratfordbeekeepers.org.uk/PENotes/Fondant.htm

If placed on the hive in late summer or early in the autumn (August or September) then the colony will usually take the fondant down and store it in the same way as they would sugar syrup; if put on later, then it is often left on the excluder and consumed as required. This fondant was placed on the hive on 10 September 2002 and the photograph was taken on 4 November 2002 when most of the fondant had been taken down and stored.

http://www.stratfordbeekeepers.org.uk/PENotes/Fondant.htm

Very interesting. I learnt something new about bees today!
I have only ever used fondant as a post Xmas emergency food supply to ensure the bees get through to spring.

There is fondant stored in most of my brood boxes.

I haven't done a full inspection, as I still think it is a little early.

16/17 degrees in early March is kind of saying 'Get your bees open and see what is going on'. You don't need to spill the guts of a colony. Brood in all stages and adequate food stores are what you need to be looking for. Sticking fondant on might just be plain bad if they have lots of food. Early feeding can provoke lots of brood rearing and early swarming. Many a novice gone wrong there.

Latest posts

Back