Latest beemail and hive theft

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiseww

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives
I got this yesterday and was delighted to see that someone else has thought of the branding of hives.
I bought a kit on amazon a couple of weeks ago to do my hives - but due to being otherwise engaged having a heart attack I have not yet done any designs on my hives but hope to very soon. I have become terrified that someone will steal them and wish I could set up an SAS type of trap to catch the b....stds and leave them hanging in a net in a tree for 24 hours. In fact I can think of much worse things I would like to do them which would give me a great deal of satisfaction !:rant:
Louise (usually a very kind gentle soul!)

... leave them hanging in a net in a tree for 24 hours.

Only 24 hrs ???

You gotta leave them hanging there long enough for all the local Beeks to prod them with their pitch forks !!

A motion detector that opens the hive and makes the bees leave...

A trip lever that releases bricks on bungy cords...

Motion sensor and nail gun?

A motion detector that opens the hive and makes the bees leave...

A trip lever that releases bricks on bungy cords...

Motion sensor and nail gun?

water pistol attached to motion sensor... full to the brim of the pheramone in beestings and wasp stings, perfume and fabric conditioner in some kind of sticky carrier thats difficult to wash out of clothes/off skin

plus another cannister of swarm lure on the bottom of the hive with a small bung so that it slow trickles out into his/her car while the hive is transported.. if he/she wants bees let them be plagued by them for some time to come...

I too have branded my hives with my initial and surname. I have also branded all frames too so it they run off with the frames there maybe some hope, but hopefully being on a secure apairy this won't happen. i was tempted to get motion cameras to detect if anyone or thing did cross the path of the hive and catch them red handed!

I too have branded my hives with my initial and surname. I have also branded all frames too so it they run off with the frames there maybe some hope, but hopefully being on a secure apairy this won't happen. i was tempted to get motion cameras to detect if anyone or thing did cross the path of the hive and catch them red handed!

I use trail cameras for work and have one at each of my apiary sites, one is a GSM and will forward a picture to my mobile when triggered.
I must warn you though that I did get some cracking pics of Yobbos stealing from from an outbuilding and gave the pics to the police. They (the police) were useless made sympathetic noises but never caught the Yobs.
If you are interested you can get them from http://www.trail-camera.co.uk/wildlife/Trail-Camera.htm and many other online shops
Cheers
S

water pistol attached to motion sensor... full to the brim of the pheramone in beestings and wasp stings, perfume and fabric conditioner in some kind of sticky carrier thats difficult to wash out of clothes/off skin

plus another cannister of swarm lure on the bottom of the hive with a small bung so that it slow trickles out into his/her car while the hive is transported.. if he/she wants bees let them be plagued by them for some time to come...

Thanks for all these wonderful suggestions I think I need to send for the Arnie to set up some nice traps!
L

one of the easiest and cheapest ways to prevent theft is to fix the outer brood body to the stand and the stand to 200 kg of concrete in that way they can only pinch the frames which at night is not so easy

as for the traps try the ankle snappers on video four i think

I got this yesterday and was delighted to see that someone else has thought of the branding of hives.

Branding the thieves sounds a better solution - on the forehead was the norm I believe (slicing open each side of the nose for a second offence!)

Latest posts

Back