Last year as a noob.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbyjove

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
ONE
Been a steep learning curve this year but not too painful.
As those more experienced than me have said, could have had a lot more if I had stopped them swarming.
Bought a second hand, barely used Unimel 3 frame extactor and thornes heated uncapper from a guy for £200.
They both work really well and I was surprised it got ALL the honey out.
Just finished my first extraction, I only took four frames.
The cheek of the Bees eating the stuff !
I now realise if I had done it late july early august I would have had a lot more.
Me and the missus faffing about over a teaspoon of honey that might go to waste !
Did not bother renewing my club membership.
So can't use their extractor but having my own I'm not in a queue !
Meetings are just so boring and I just lose the will to live when it's the club honey show.
"No sign of incipient granulation......" and another fifty jars to go.
Had a talk on the ancient greeks and their contribution to beekeeping and at the end you realised they were effin clueless about Bees.
Really looking forward to next years beekeeping.

Brilliant. If you had taken more in July, you might simply have ended up having to feed. I only took minimal and am having to feed 2 of my colonies. You survived your first year. The second year is usually more hectic and potentially stressful. I agree about boring meetings but am involved with my local BKA, helping them help others, which I find rewarding

Brilliant. If you had taken more in July, you might simply have ended up having to feed. I only took minimal and am having to feed 2 of my colonies. You survived your first year. The second year is usually more hectic and potentially stressful. I agree about boring meetings but am involved with my local BKA, helping them help others, which I find rewarding
Actually my third year but I seem to have learned more this year.
If you could only bottle hindsight !

Back