Large varroa load

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Says a guy who does not even extract his yield. hive.

???????????? more rubbish, I just take only what I want....Not what I need to buy petrol.

but the fact that I have a yield means that my bees havent died like you keep telling me they would.

Thank you everyone, especially Finman for your suggestions. Separating the bees from the brood sounds like the way to go before treatment. The choice is between the Apiguard I was going to use or buy in some MAQS. If I take this route, do I just sacrifice existing brood and the wax on the brood frames ? The bees in this hive are still busily bringing in copious amounts of pollen.

I will obviously have to treat the other hives as well.

If you are using MAQS or thymol, you don't need to separate the bees from the brood.

Unless your colony is absolutely writhing with mites I would treat with brood on
if you use MAQS it will still be effective even on mites in sealed cells
If you use apiguard the four week cycle will do the job on firstly phoretic mites, then the mites originally in the cells.

You'll be needing the product of that brood this winter.

Lift off the supers, lay it on the frames, put everything back, leave it a week.

Very low/no visible varroa presence after.

Dusty

Thanks Dusty, a very tempting and simple approach.

I have just noticed that my largest, most prolific colony now has a drop of hundreds in two days. I guess I'd better start the Apiguard treatment asap. This colony had a drop of virtually zero in the spring.

Colonies gather varroa as the active season progresses.

Latest posts

Back