Langstroth or national.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you use a basic stamped Queen Excluder (I mentioned galv as I personally detest the plastic ones) you will get exactly the same space as you would using a wooden framed QX on a properly set up outfit. For example if you had a 'normal' Bottom Beespace National format you would have the brood box with no top Beespace, the framed QX, which will give you a top beespace (meaning the brood box will have both top and bottom beespace) you will then put a BBS super on which, if you ignore the wires of the QX gives you double beespace over the brood frames. We all seem to cope happily with that.
If you have the same issue as the OP, you have the brood box with TBS, then put on a galv QX (or an unframed wire one) then you put a BBS National super on top, you end up with double beespace divided by a 'flat' QX. Exactly the same as a 'properly' set up hive with a framed QX.

You still need to address the top/bottom beespace issue. One thing that will help is to avoid framed Queen excluders as that will further exacerbate the issue - just use the stamped galvanised ones, nadiring the shallows could be a real PITA though.
I have a galvanised excluder with the hive so would this be OK. What is nadiring the shallows. ?

What is nadiring the shallows
There may be times when the shallow box (commonly called super - as opposed to a deep, the brood box)needs to be put underneath the brood box, the opposite of supering is nadiring

There may be times when the shallow box (commonly called super - as opposed to a deep, the brood box)needs to be put underneath the brood box, the opposite of supering is nadiring
Like being back at school with all this learning. Thanks for your advice..

standard national brood box and keep it simple

Yes, and it's a pity you've gone ahead with your current mis-match of frames and boxes, Chris. Still, early days; see how you get on but re-assess before buying more.

My guess is that either you were mis-advised, haven't done enough research or that you have yet to attend a beginner course, but leapt in for a swim without seeing the sign that reads Beware! Alligators!

Simplicity and uniformity in beekeeping is essential; do not be persuaded by beekeepers who get by with complexity. If in doubt, watch the excellent Laurence Edwards of Black Mountain Honey listing his top 10 beekeeping mistakes: number 2 refers to uniformity of equipment.

My take on brood boxes: one big box (Commercial or 14x12) is often not enough and a second will be heavier than is practical. In this case, smaller multiples of standard deep Nationals offers a flexible and manageable system.

it's a pity you've gone ahead with your current mis-match of frames and boxes
I think many would disagree with that statement. I know of many experienced and knowledgable beeks who run Commercial deeps with National supers.

Yes, and it's a pity you've gone ahead with your current mis-match of frames and boxes, Chris. Still, early days; see how you get on but re-assess before buying more.

My guess is that either you were mis-advised, haven't done enough research or that you have yet to attend a beginner course, but leapt in for a swim without seeing the sign that reads Beware! Alligators!

Simplicity and uniformity in beekeeping is essential; do not be persuaded by beekeepers who get by with complexity. If in doubt, watch the excellent Laurence Edwards of Black Mountain Honey listing his top 10 beekeeping mistakes: number 2 refers to uniformity of equipment.

My take on brood boxes: one big box (Commercial or 14x12) is often not enough and a second will be heavier than is practical. In this case, smaller multiples of standard deep Nationals offers a flexible and manageable system.
Probably a bit of all of the above,but part of the learning process I suppose. Hopefully get more knowledgeable as I go along. Have got a beginners course lined up and looking forward to a bit more hands on.

Probably a bit of all of the above,but part of the learning process I suppose. Hopefully get more knowledgeable as I go along. Have got a beginners course lined up and looking forward to a bit more hands on.
Just get a work round the bee space issue and go for it.
If I remember correctly Lawrence ( BMH) started off with a whole lot of different set ups and still runs them

Latest posts

Back