Labels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
There's been a bit of natter recently about labels on the forum, so I thought that I would post our new labels/brand.

The web site will go live late Spring, so don't bother trying the URL. Emails will get through though.

Please note that the lot number is handwritten on to the jars and our designers did take advice from Trading Standards whilst in production (particularly about the 'Handmade').

It made a noticeable difference to sales late in the season last year (when it was first used) and, to my mind, was a worthwhile investment.

ps....I don't mind the farm address going up on here because the hives are elsewhere, the dogs rarely leave any evidence and SWMBO can make murder look like suicide :icon_204-2:

These are the labels for mine this year. When i get to take some more good pics of my apiaries they will change, sort of like limited editions and seasonal.

Last edited:
Congratulations, and yes, the labels look nice!
Clearly, we should all be looking out for your contributions in threads on "honey for showing" ... :)

/// But on the technical point, doesn't the statutory info (like "Produce of England", etc) have to be on a plain background - not overlaid on an image (however pretty)?

Last edited:
First harvest to so well happy:winner1st:

the back label has lot no, bbe date, bar code and info about the honey. the pic was taken for a leaflet i give to shops to put with honey.

The pic on the label is the apiary in august.

There's been a bit of natter recently about labels on the forum, so I thought that I would post our new labels/brand.

The web site will go live late Spring, so don't bother trying the URL. Emails will get through though.

Please note that the lot number is handwritten on to the jars and our designers did take advice from Trading Standards whilst in production (particularly about the 'Handmade').

It made a noticeable difference to sales late in the season last year (when it was first used) and, to my mind, was a worthwhile investment.

ps....I don't mind the farm address going up on here because the hives are elsewhere, the dogs rarely leave any evidence and SWMBO can make murder look like suicide :icon_204-2:

Very very nice labels I like the way they fit with the anti tamper label. Any chance you could share where they are from or did you do them yourself?

Very very nice labels I like the way they fit with the anti tamper label. Any chance you could share where they are from or did you do them yourself?

:iagree: my printer does standard labels very reasonably but he can't do the tamper labels I want

Lovely labels what price did you get away with the new labels out of interest?

Hi Veg - :thanks: - they were designed by a very good designer friend of mine who also had a part to play in the Rowse re-brand a year or two ago - the 'thinking' and 'storyboarding' behind brand design is just something else :)

I've attached the tamper tag design for you - as you noticed, it was designed to 'link' with the main label.

Anti-Tamper Labels

These look fantastic and extremely professional, but for those without access to professional designers and printers, can I humbly suggest that Beek's buy their anti-tamper labels from organisations such as Bees For Development.

They look great, give publicity for a great charity and show your customers that you are supporting beekeepers in other countries...

http://www.beesfordevelopment.org/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/237

PS. I have no link to this or any other charity group - I'm just a supporter!

...Please note that the lot number is handwritten on to the jars and our designers did take advice from Trading Standards whilst in production (particularly about the 'Handmade').

It made a noticeable difference to sales late in the season last year (when it was first used) and, to my mind, was a worthwhile investment...
Now that is a really good and modern label. With the stylised flowers and clouds you have elements that would echo, for instance, children's books and the same pastel shades. Professional and clear, but a suggestion of innocence. The dominant colour is pale yellow, like the honey, or a child's bee drawing. Attracts the eye on the shelf and within the comfortable mild areas of the colour palette, staying far from the 'hot and spicy' reds or oranges or 'not food' blues.

One pedantic point from my reading of the legislation, and probably unfair to dig it out. That is that the Food Labelling Regulations 1996 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/1499/contents/made say that the "name of the food" (honey) the weight and the "durability indication" (best before) have to be in the same "field of vision". On a hex jar, is 120 degrees away the same field of vision? The legislation does not define it. There are plenty of mass marketed labels that push that one too and don't seem to attract attention; 99% likely that most TS inspections would move on to far more pressing issues elsewhere. But not completely to the letter of the rules. One simple fix is to move the weight (or repeat it) on the side panel with the "best before" date and repeat the food name "Honey". Look at the mass marketed packages, you see that a lot. Another possibility would be to add "best before, see reverse" to the bottom of the middle panel.

There's another aesthetic element you might want to consider. Have you ever noticed how some people hold the honey jar up to the light? Honey judges do, but watch the public at shows. You can't see through the label if it wraps the entire jar. I see the simplicity (and cost saving) of one large label with all the detail on it but if the customer can't see the clarity and obvious quality of what's in the jar a few sales might go elsewhere.

And just to repeat; only my observations and I do really like the label. It makes everything the main suppliers offer for overprinting look really dated.:)

Latest posts

Back