Labels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One pedantic point from my reading of the legislation, and probably unfair to dig it out. That is that the Food Labelling Regulations 1996 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/1499/contents/made say that the "name of the food" (honey) the weight and the "durability indication" (best before) have to be in the same "field of vision". On a hex jar, is 120 degrees away the same field of vision?
Field of vision, in my opinion, covers what I can see without moving the jar; i.e. 180 degrees, (or in a hex jar 3 adjoining sides. If it was a circular jar, you wouldn't be querying a label covering half the circumference. Same principle.

Field of vision, in my opinion, covers what I can see without moving the jar; i.e. 180 degrees, (or in a hex jar 3 adjoining sides. If it was a circular jar, you wouldn't be querying a label covering half the circumference. Same principle.
As I wrote, it's not defined in the legislation. Therefore it's for the courts to interpret, but I'm not aware of any judgement from a court high enough to be a precedent. Practically if a label is questioned it's cheaper to change the next batch than pay lawyers.

Looking at what the big manufacturers do, they obviously don't want to leave any ambiguity. On a can of beans, there's a vertical strip down the side. It says "He1nz baked beans in tomato sauce", the weight and "Best before end, see can end". The "field of vision" requirements covered. No grounds to challenge the geometry, even though some products repeat information less than 90 degrees around the back.

Alan et al - thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.

With regards to customers being able to hold the jar up to the light, we decided to rely upon the section of glass above the label, below the label and also the small gaps between the rear of the label and the tamper tags.

herefordshirehoney - to answer your question, between £4.50 and £4.70 per 12oz jar - not stratospheric, but acceptable and reasonable I think.

Sold about £40 worth in a couple of hours at a table top sale on Sunday helping out someone who had a stand.

My 12oz hex jars are priced at £4.95, whereas my 1lb are £6. Of course, I do give discounts for multiple and bulk.

My labels aren't loading for some reason, so will add later.

Latest posts

Back