Labels. Non permanent?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was another label thread that went on a bit, it covered all of this. Following advice from TS and EH, I could sell honey at the door ladled straight from the bucket if the customer was happy.
I guess that's similar to all these farm shops that have become evermore popular in recent years where you bring your own containers to fill from a large bucket (cereals, flour, etc).

Didn't you say @ericbeaumont that someone in your BKA sells honey straight from his Flow Hive? Likely his labels are more to do with advertising than complying with legislation?

I guess that's similar to all these farm shops that have become evermore popular in recent years where you bring your own containers to fill from a large bucket (cereals, flour, etc).

Didn't you say @ericbeaumont that someone in your BKA sells honey straight from his Flow Hive? Likely his labels are more to do with advertising than complying with legislation?
Yes, Paras sells that way - at a premium! - and I'll ask if he charges them to stick on their own label.

I use AA Labels https://www.aalabels.com/a4-sheets/rectangle/t18 type AAE010WTP which work a treat in my Brother laser printer. Although the glue is 'permanent' it's acrylic-based and the used labels can easily be soaked off empty jars in warm water. What I do with the jars afterwards is my affair...
Thank you Chris for getting back to the original question. I need this info. Threads get like a rabbit warren at times!. . . . . Ben

I use Avery "easy peel" labels, which are easy to remove, unless some kind soul has put them through a dishwasher first.
Exactly.
However with a label, you know that the jar was yours and is part of a 'closed loop' delivery system which is how milk bottles get around the re-use legislation.

Exactly.
However with a label, you know that the jar was yours and is part of a 'closed loop' delivery system which is how milk bottles get around the re-use legislation.

No
GLASS bottles and jars and the lids are single use as far as we are concerned, we ask our customers to wash the honey jars out once finished with and put them in the clear glass recycle facility.
Reuse of lids, jars and bottles is pinpointed as a possible hazard in out HACCP docs
and should be in everyone who is selling honey, over the gate or otherwise!

Chons da

“The legislation with regard to food contact materials will preclude the reuse of glass honey jars for any commercial food use, even following stringent cleaning.
However, only the courts can decide whether in particular circumstances an offence has been committed.”
As the writers of the HACCP document admit, it is an interpretation of the law to say that it is not permitted to reuse honey jars (there is no disagreement that lids cannot be reused). Many others do not interpret the law and regulations in the same way.

As the writers of the HACCP document admit, it is an interpretation of the law to say that it is not permitted to reuse honey jars (there is no disagreement that lids cannot be reused). Many others do not interpret the law and regulations in the same way.
Well, as you say, down to interpretation.
But if the neck of the jar breaks from the lid being retightened several hundred times, and the customer takes you to court, the seller had better hope that the courts have the same interpretation as himself.

No
GLASS bottles and jars and the lids are single use as far as we are concerned, we ask our customers to wash the honey jars out once finished with and put them in the clear glass recycle facility.
Reuse of lids, jars and bottles is pinpointed as a possible hazard in out HACCP docs
and should be in everyone who is selling honey, over the gate or otherwise!

Chons da
Not on the original topic but on the tangent one.
Another Aussie development that will take off I reckon.
... compostable pouches ...saw them yesterday on a show on the telly.
https://amberdrophoney.com.au/zero-waste-honey/

Well, as you say, down to interpretation.
But if the neck of the jar breaks from the lid being retightened several hundred times, and the customer takes you to court, the seller had better hope that the courts have the same interpretation as himself.
Comes under "showing due diligence" I believe

If a new jar should splinter and a shard of glass cause injury, our insurer would take up the case on our behalf in court and possibly then involve the jar manufactures, lid manufacturers etc.

I dread to think where a 2 hive owner/ over the gate seller of honey would stand insurance wise*.... could loose your house!

* We insure via NFU Mutual for Product and Public liability.... be wary of some of the "insurance included in you subscription" organisations for hobbyists!

Comes under "showing due diligence" I believe

I dread to think where a 2 hive owner/ over the gate seller of honey would stand insurance wise*.... could loose your house!

TS and EH told us they were a bit fed up with the same questions from hobbyist beekeepers. Their answer was use a bit of common sense, refilling jars for friends is a long way from selling jars from unknown source at market.
Far from losing your house, they kind of gave me the impression they have MUCH bigger fish to fry.
Do see a heck of a lot of scare mongering on this subject.

TS and EH told us they were a bit fed up with the same questions from hobbyist beekeepers. Their answer was use a bit of common sense, refilling jars for friends is a long way from selling jars from unknown source at market.
Far from losing your house, they kind of gave me the impression they have MUCH bigger fish to fry.

Not scare mongering..... more Precautionary Principle!

Who are TS and EH? We use Compak.......

Gold plating?

Latest posts

Back