Labels. Non permanent?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickndoris

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all. I have been using standard address labels on A4 sheets printed by the trusty Dell laser. People return the jars often but the labels just don't come off. Looking at changing the labels to X 7 per A4 so one label for front/back. Question is, has anyone used the non permanent/removable labels for glass jars with success? Don't want to order in 500+ sheets for them not to work as in just fall off:) Looking at getting them from Avery at £60 for a box of 500. The non permanent used to be 50% more expensive than the standard permanent.

Happy new year to all.

My solution to this problem is easier and cheaper, my regular customers who return their jars are happy with no labels.

We are not allowed to refill or reuse jars or bottles... Must be new, washed in industrial dishwasher, and a record of manufacturers batch numbers retained on file...... As advised by our Cornwall Council Trading Standards.

Would have thought that same would apply to over the gate 2 hive owners too?

We are not allowed to refill or reuse jars or bottles... Must be new, washed in industrial dishwasher, and a record of manufacturers batch numbers retained on file...... As advised by our Cornwall Council Trading Standards.

Nope - or any one else for that matter in the rest of the (for now) UK

whether or not you are 'supposed' to re-use glass jars, let us presume for one moment that DicknD want to reuse them for their own jam making, therefore no issue,

Thornes labels are removable - not all of them mind, but the L2 certainly is re-peelable as I use them for some own brand labels. The tamper stickers aren't which makes reusing gold lids for jam making a problem as removing them if you try and scratch the adhesive off often scratches the gold laquer/paint off

Hope that helps

KR

S

In the file we have to keep, and crossed referenced to our HACCP docs is this..

“The legislation with regard to food contact materials will preclude the reuse of glass honey jars for any commercial food use, even following stringent cleaning. A commercial honey producer is legally obliged to ensure their jars are fully compliant with legislation, and have an overriding requirement under the Food Safety Act to ensure the food they provide is safe.

Any packaging used must be compliant with the European regulations (principally Article 3 of Regulation 1935/2004), which sets out the safety criteria for food packaging. Though it can be assumed that originally the jars met these criteria, as they were fit to sell at the retail level, once sold and their constituent food has been consumed, the required chain of documentation which shows they are compliant is broken. Thus it would be impossible to demonstrate to the relevant authorities that the reused jars were compliant, unless the jars were knowingly manufactured to be reused, and within a closed loop distribution system like milk bottles. However, only the courts can decide whether in particular circumstances an offence has been committed.”

All of the EU laws that were in force at the time of Brexit have now been passed into UK law, so presumably this regulation still stands?

We want OUR CUSTOMERS to have a safe and enjoyable honey experience... and will not allow this to be compromised by using previously used jars.

Glass is readily recyclable and our Council arranges a weekly kerbside collection for homeowners.

whether or not you are 'supposed' to re-use glass jars, let us presume for one moment that DicknD want to reuse them for their own jam making, therefore no issue,

Thornes labels are removable - not all of them mind, but the L2 certainly is re-peelable as I use them for some own brand labels. The tamper stickers aren't which makes reusing gold lids for jam making a problem as removing them if you try and scratch the adhesive off often scratches the gold laquer/paint off

Hope that helps

KR

S
OK... but they must eat a lot of jam!

Nope - or any one else for that matter in the rest of the (for now) UK
In an earlier thread, @Apple said that he had previously worked in the glass industry and that legislation precluded the reuse of jars as the glass is not the same grade as the glass used in jars/bottles intended to be reused.

The repeated removal of lids weakens the glass neck and can cause splintering of glass shards. So tested and approved for average use (e.g. ok if a person is opening/retightening the lids once per spoonful of honey). But not if that jar is then passed on to 100+ more customers to do the same.

There is a big difference between reusing jars for yourself at home (i.e. you know they're reused and accept the risk) and supplying to a paying customer.

In an earlier thread, @Apple said that he had previously worked in the glass industry

He says a lot of things, but I always find it's good to keep the salt cellar handy

In an earlier thread, @Apple said that he had previously worked in the glass industry and that legislation precluded the reuse of jars as the glass is not the same grade as the glass used in jars/bottles intended to be reused.

The repeated removal of lids weakens the glass neck and can cause splintering of glass shards. So tested and approved for average use (e.g. ok if a person is opening/retightening the lids once per spoonful of honey). But not if that jar is then passed on to 100+ more customers to do the same.

There is a big difference between reusing jars for yourself at home (i.e. you know they're reused and accept the risk) and supplying to a paying customer.
Yes in 1969 I was a technician working in British Industrial Sands pilot plant and experimental unit in Redhill Surrey... my job was particle sizing of diatamaceous earths used in the foundry, ceramic and glass making industries.... being employed in such a place you get to learn a lot about glass... and some very useful transferable skills!

Hi all. I have been using standard address labels on A4 sheets printed by the trusty Dell laser. People return the jars often but the labels just don't come off. Looking at changing the labels to X 7 per A4 so one label for front/back. Question is, has anyone used the non permanent/removable labels for glass jars with success? Don't want to order in 500+ sheets for them not to work as in just fall off:) Looking at getting them from Avery at £60 for a box of 500. The non permanent used to be 50% more expensive than the standard permanent.

Happy new year to all.

I buy from Flexilables now, they do removable paper labels as below.

7 Rectangle Labels per A4 sheet 200 mm x 38 mm - Flexi Labels

But I find the better labels and easier to remove are the polyester ones which are more expensive but never smudge or tear even if they get wet. If laser printed you can even warm them in water without detriment.

You can order any amount but pay a premium on small orders as delivery is included in price.

Last edited:
Yes in 1969 I was a technician working in British Industrial Sands pilot plant and experimental unit in Redhill Surrey... my job was particle sizing of diatamaceous earths used in the foundry, ceramic and glass making industries.... being employed in such a place you get to learn a lot about glass... and some very useful transferable skills!
And presumably legislation has got more strict since that time rather than less. Especially as we're living in an increasingly throwaway society.

I used to always reuse jars until reading the previous thread when this was discussed, and decided to seriously reconsider the options. Consequences of a customer finding shards of glass in a jar of half-eaten honey with my name on, against paying out 30p per jar.

On another tack... it seems you need a Food Hygiene Certificate to produce those beeswax wraps!
And also list and have a paper trail for the cotton, print inks and anything else ( jojoba oil? etc) used in the manufacture.....
and don't even start on hive product cosmetics... £100s for test and challenge approval!... for each product and variant...

Chons da

On another tack... it seems you need a Food Hygiene Certificate to produce those beeswax wraps!
And also list and have a paper trail for the cotton, print inks and anything else ( jojoba oil? etc) used in the manufacture.....
and don't even start on hive product cosmetics... £100s for test and challenge approval!... for each product and variant...

Chons da
I got a cosmetic approval (although it was a few years ago) for several products in one. It gives a base recipes for lip balm, hand cream, bath bombs, melts etc then gives lots of ingredients that can be interchanged so you can mix and match and they are all covered. It's not something I have done for a while but the original paperwork says they do not expire as they are updated by the company in the event of any legislation change. You could either get them for specific products one at a time or get the whole lot as a package.

I got a cosmetic approval (although it was a few years ago) for several products in one. It gives a base recipes for lip balm, hand cream, bath bombs, melts etc then gives lots of ingredients that can be interchanged so you can mix and match and they are all covered. It's not something I have done for a while but the original paperwork says they do not expire as they are updated by the company in the event of any legislation change. You could either get them for specific products one at a time or get the whole lot as a package.
It seems as long as you keep your PIF files up to date and log the details and update regularly any changes on the portal, you will keep the approval for the products you have listed and tested.
Looked at cosmetics as a use for the vast quantity of beeswax we produce... initially the cost of start up seems expensive...... especially when you have to compete with beekeepers who rock up at some of the "Farmers markets" without any clue as to the trouble they could get into as they had no approval or even any method of showing due diligence across a range of the hive related products they sell.

Let alone dodgy labels and second hand jars and lids!!!

Chons da

Chons da
I don't use (or sell) beeswax wraps because I'm not convinced of the hygiene.

Re paper trails, Sara Robb gave a talk about soap making at the last NHS. In it she mentioned the cosmetics side of her company and that they can provide the required paperwork for sellers (£150 per product).
I'm not sure if the videos of the talks are still available but her website has some info.

I'm sure it works for you, Steve, but I was under the impression it was a legal requirement to label honey in order to sell it.
There was another label thread that went on a bit, it covered all of this. Following advice from TS and EH, I could sell honey at the door ladled straight from the bucket if the customer was happy.

Back