Label materials

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
This is my third year of selling honey from shelves outside my house. When I started I labelled the jars with standard paper labels and used a laser printer. Due to the fact the jars are outside the labels get damp and damaged, I had to regularly relabel jars to make them presentable for sale.
This year I decided to go for a more robust vinyl label which is absolutely bullet proof, can be washed, rubbed and mishandled without detriment. I thought every thing was hunky dory until one of my regular customers asked why I'd changed from the "nice paper labels to those horrible non recyclable plastic ones"
What material are your labels made from and how do you balance the recyclable tightrope?

Paper labels and a laser printer - or Thornes do paper ones. Anyone know of a supplier of paper T/E labels?

Paper and black and white laser. Put honey in covered box by gate.

I use this, Matt White Adhesive Paper I have also ordered the glossy version to try. Works well and it is easy to soak the labels off if any customers are good enough to return jars. I have a small covered shelf at the end of the drive to keep the rain off. I print the front, back and the security tab (runs from lid to side of jar) using this paper. Standard inkjet printer.

"nice paper labels to those horrible non recyclable plastic ones ....

Why are the horrible non recyclable plastic ones not recyclable?

Next they will want you to reuse the one use glass jar and lid!

Stick with the plastic.

( we also have ditched the paper security tabs as have found that they get "thumbed" when on the "garden Center" shelves... now use shrink wrap plastic anti tamper seals which are a lot better... and recyclable!!)

Sorry, tamper evident - I use the ones with a hexagon and a "tail" to go from the lid to the jar on plain lids. They seem to have a "plasticized" gloss.

With my "pretty" lids, I use clear plastic strips, so as no to obscure the design - unfortunately, the only way I can think of to get round this plastic use is to use plain lids - or no T/E at all. Any other suggestions gratefully received.

I use three labels, one I use as a T/E 😁 label. When I used paper ones they broke easily, the vinyl ones are hard for even customers to break.

Attachments

• 2898BF4E-7D02-4776-A57B-90ADFD8FFBA6.jpeg
    2898BF4E-7D02-4776-A57B-90ADFD8FFBA6.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 69
This is my third year of selling honey from shelves outside my house. When I started I labelled the jars with standard paper labels and used a laser printer. Due to the fact the jars are outside the labels get damp and damaged, I had to regularly relabel jars to make them presentable for sale.
This year I decided to go for a more robust vinyl label which is absolutely bullet proof, can be washed, rubbed and mishandled without detriment. I thought every thing was hunky dory until one of my regular customers asked why I'd changed from the "nice paper labels to those horrible non recyclable plastic ones"
What material are your labels made from and how do you balance the recyclable tightrope?
I've just produced some personalised labels for Emmaus. I look after their apiary and they sell the honey in their café shop.
I used the Avery UK website. Not only do they have a very large collection of labels in different sizes, shapes and materials there is free design software you can use to make your own labels and print yourself.
Not much cheaper than Thornes once you have covered costs of ink and blank labels (if you use Avery blanks) but a very easy way to have personalised labels.
Avery UK website. Well worth a look.

I've just produced some personalised labels for Emmaus. I look after their apiary and they sell the honey in their café shop.
I used the Avery UK website. Not only do they have a very large collection of labels in different sizes, shapes and materials there is free design software you can use to make your own labels and print yourself.
Not much cheaper than Thornes once you have covered costs of ink and blank labels (if you use Avery blanks) but a very easy way to have personalised labels.
Avery UK website. Well worth a look.
I already produce my own labels using Flexilabels and Publisher. Which I think are better, cheaper and have with more choice than Avery.
I produce approximately 30-40 different labels per season due to the 10 different sites and up to 4 extractions from each site. It’s probably more than that as I also produce special labels for my hosts when they want a decent quantity from the hives in their properties.
Regarding the plastic, I’m coming to the conclusion it’s probably not possible to get standard Labels which are strong and recyclable 😒.

"nice paper labels to those horrible non recyclable plastic ones ....

Why are the horrible non recyclable plastic ones not recyclable?

Next they will want you to reuse the one use glass jar and lid!

Stick with the plastic.

( we also have ditched the paper security tabs as have found that they get "thumbed" when on the "garden Center" shelves... now use shrink wrap plastic anti tamper seals which are a lot better... and recyclable!!)
Hi, How does the shrink wrap work and where can it be recycled? thanks.

I have to admit that this year I used Thorne labels. One lot are the clear vinyl type. I had not thought of the environmental side at all!

Attachments

• 20200718_190603.jpg
    20200718_190603.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 62
I have to admit that this year I used Thorne labels. One lot are the clear vinyl type. I had not thought of the environmental side at all!
I hope there not both your arms..
Im a worried man at this point.

I hope there not both your arms..
Im a worried man at this point.
LOL.....no....its my partners hand as well! It does look rather strange. You just reminded me. I scanned the photos of some of my landscaping work. Trouble is they are pdf files and I have not yet been able to turn them in to jpeg images. I thought it might freak you out, if I sent them to you as pdf's that need to be downloaded to your computer. I know I would be!

:eek:
Do you get clients to help label jars Neil?
I would be interested to know how you keep records.
:)
All my maintenance clients put there own labels on that they produce. Where I supply special labels it's normally only in batches of 1-2 dozen so I do it for them.

I keep all my honey records on an XL spreadsheet with details of each batch and who I sell them wholesale to.

LOL.....no....its my partners hand as well! It does look rather strange. You just reminded me. I scanned the photos of some of my landscaping work. Trouble is they are pdf files and I have not yet been able to turn them in to jpeg images. I thought it might freak you out, if I sent them to you as pdf's that need to be downloaded to your computer. I know I would be!
No worries ill pm you?

Latest posts

Back