Just passed my Basic....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HM Honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
As the title says really.....:D:hurray::cheers2:

I know I should have done it before now but just never got round to it....

Anyway, its done....

Congratulations, been keeping bees for thirty years and I haven't passed anything! Maybe I should! Well done
E

:winner1st:

Right - now its on to the Modules!

M1 is rather like a written version of the Basic. Bit more detail wanted, and no 'conversational' prompting. Consider it while everything is fresh in your mind! (November exam entries need to be in by the end of this month.)

Excellent good for you it took me a few years longer than It should have and to be honest only did it as I have bees on allotment sites but glad I did it all the same.:winner1st:

I think 2-3 years min.

I always favour and value experience over pieces of paper.

I did it this year (my third); BBKA specify at least one year's practical experience necessary before applying. (I passed, despite getting a bee in my veil at the start - only time it's ever happened! - and making a mess of taking a sample of bees for disease testing).

How long does it take to find out? I did mine 16th Aug but haven't heard anything yet.

totally agree with you tom bick how many of alex fergusons era held coaching paper work but well done Hm.

Congratulations HM Honey :)

How many years beekeeping do you guys recommend before putting in for this exam?

BBKA says minimum of one complete year beekeeping for the Basic, but you might need longer to feel confident if you only ever look into one hive. Your BKA might (should) run a refresher course both theory and practical, to make sure you're not making any massive mistakes.

It's a big syllabus, some notes here : http://tinyurl.com/q6kvlck

It was as much to prove to myself that I knew what I was doing tbh Tom. You dont really achieve anything with getting it. Just the knowledge that you have the knowledge...so to speak..l.

I think 2-3 years min.

I always favour and value experience over pieces of paper.

Thanks Elly and BeeJ. Your totally correct Tom and I look forward to "earning my stripes" through care, thoughtfulness and diligence!

...and having you lot to ask stupid questions really helps as well...

Thanks Elly and BeeJ. Your totally correct Tom and I look forward to "earning my stripes" through care, thoughtfulness and diligence!

It does no harm whatsoever to have paper qualifications.

Sometimes, presenting a recognised qualification as proof that you ought to know what you are doing may be required before you are permitted to place your hive, for example, on an allotment.
There are other possible occasions when it might be helpful to be able to prove that you are a diligent, knowledgable, skilled, etc beekeeper and not simply one of the "I leave them to it" brigade ... (they don't know how hard it is to fail The Basic - as long as you never let go of your hive tool!)

Recently had the news through that I passed the basic. :winner1st:
Now, which module to do first...?

Latest posts

Back