Just for some fun.... an excuse to smile.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have change the oil and all the filters on the compact tractor this morning. I was amused to read the following warning in the manual:

tractor-filter-change-01-scaled.jpg

James

This morning while listening to the radio, fact about childhood from the United Kingdom:
British children spend fewer hours outdoors than British prisoners.

This morning while listening to the radio, fact about childhood from the United Kingdom:
British children spend fewer hours outdoors than British prisoners.
Sad but often true.
But is it really?
I always thought that of my nephew - until my sister told me that when I mentioned a fishing trip, they didn't need an alarum clock that morning, he may have seemed to spend his time in front of a computer screen, but the rest of the time playing rugby (albeit badly) and football (is there any other way?) and now in his mid twenties he spends his time out in the open air.
then my mother reminded me that I spent every moment I could with my nose in a book......
if I wasn't fishing, tending the horses, or doing carpentry stuff with my father, or out shooting/gardening with my grandfather.
I think we tend always to look for the worse in our youngs, and the establishment and press are happy with that as it distracts us from who is doing the greater damage.

But is it really?
I always thought that of my nephew - until my sister told me that when I mentioned a fishing trip, they didn't need an alarum clock that morning, he may have seemed to spend his time in front of a computer screen, but the rest of the time playing rugby (albeit badly) and football (is there any other way?) and now in his mid twenties he spends his time out in the open air.
then my mother reminded me that I spent every moment I could with my nose in a book......
if I wasn't fishing, tending the horses, or doing carpentry stuff with my father, or out shooting/gardening with my grandfather.
I think we tend always to look for the worse in our youngs, and the establishment and press are happy with that as it distracts us from who is doing the greater damage.
I also spent a lot of time with my nose in books.

However, to counter your post I've just got back via Eurostar from a family holiday. Until today, I'd never heard a teenager complain that they were never going to go on a train again because it was boring as the WiFi was rubbish and 'only 3G' so they 'couldn't do anything'. Fortunately my two are pre-teen and were both asleep.

Addendum... I just was asked to 'confirm' if wanted to 'like' your post. Not sure I like that as a feature.

I also spent a lot of time with my nose in books.

However, to counter your post I've just got back via Eurostar from a family holiday. Until today, I'd never heard a teenager complain that they were never going to go on a train again because it was boring as the WiFi was rubbish and 'only 3G' so they 'couldn't do anything'. Fortunately my two are pre-teen and were both asleep.

Addendum... I just was asked to 'confirm' if wanted to 'like' your post. Not sure I like that as a feature.
When I was in my teens I lived in Northern Ireland in the country. There was no broadband - not invented, TV was black and white so entertainment was limited - remember the World Cup 1966 , There were no buses after 9pm due to the troubles. I recall never being bored - fishing, golf, cricket, hockey - I tried and played them all. I did not go abroad until I was about 28 years old and so that was an adventure. Never seemed to be enough time to do it all. Kids nowadays have access to so much I wonder what they have to look forward to in their later years - they have done it all by 18.

When I was in my teens I lived in Northern Ireland in the country. There was no broadband - not invented, TV was black and white so entertainment was limited - remember the World Cup 1966 , There were no buses after 9pm due to the troubles. I recall never being bored - fishing, golf, cricket, hockey - I tried and played them all. I did not go abroad until I was about 28 years old and so that was an adventure. Never seemed to be enough time to do it all. Kids nowadays have access to so much I wonder what they have to look forward to in their later years - they have done it all by 18.
I was somewhat of a bookworm in my early schooldays. However when I got my first motorbike at 17 and had occasion to fix a couple of defects I discovered the benefits of keeping my weekly copies of The Eagle with its usual cutaway two page spread of various machinery of the day. The Norton Dominator 500 twin cylinder motorbike coverage from a couple of years previous was invaluable in finding my way round the engine parts.
During my early teens I got out more, roaming around the locality and adjacent villages on a pedal cycle and without realizing at the time I gained a huge amount of knowledge about nature, drainage, railway tracks, and other stuff which is tucked away in memory and comes out from time to time, especially when prompted by someone asking "what used to go on in xyz"
There's a website called Goole on the web which has various sections about villages around the Goole area. I knew most of them from my roaming around as a youth and surprised myself with a few contributions.☺️

Latest posts

Back