Just finished a cutout!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lebouche

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've just this min finished a cutout. Unfortanately I was so exhausted I didnt spray the bees with sugar water..I shook them in the box and then into the hive. Half went into the hive the other half have recongregated on the roof at their old entrance which is not blocked as I was going to capture the returning workers. I have cut out all of their comb but didnt find the queen and am hoping I hovvered her up and that she is the half that are in the hive. If I leave the honey outside the hive as I only put brood inside am I just going to cause them problems?
I think I'll get up to the roof in a min...
I'll post some pics if anyone is interested. I also put a queen guard on the bottom of the hive to keep the queen in if shes there but am wondering how they will all get in as that makes it more difficult.
Thanks!

Duncan
P.S this is my first dealings with bees since I was ten or eleven years old.

Wonder if this looks like its brood comb to any of you?
Thanks! Below should be the pics.

Wow what a job; how long do you think they had been there?

I think they were there for about two months. Thats roughly when I first spotted them. I didn't have the cash for a hive and had to do some research although I should have done more because I havent put the crownboard in and am worried it will be stuck down. I rehoused them Sunday evening and the latest I can leave it before my next inspection is next Sat as I'm goijng away for two weeks. It's too early from what I've read but I don't want to leave the roof on the national without a crown board or I might never get it off!
Thanks,

P.S Horsham is where my mom grew up :)

Duncan

Thanks, where abouts are you? My hive is at my moms house which is in Brimpton, near Thatcham if you know it. Are you a member of the local association? I'm thinking of joining so I can get to know some local keepers.

some brilliant pictures there, wish you the best of luck with them

I must ask though, the 6th picture down, what the hell is that glass/plastic looking thing, looks like a sexual device:redface:

Thanks, where abouts are you? My hive is at my moms house which is in Brimpton, near Thatcham if you know it. Are you a member of the local association? I'm thinking of joining so I can get to know some local keepers.

I'm about 10 miles north of you, near Yattendon.

Gosh, you have done REALLY well. I hope it all does good from here on in.

Well done! I couldn't have tackled that.

Have a cuppa and put some honey in it :)

Con grats you have done very well.
now you need to look after them
All the best
Andy

Con grats you have done very well.
now you need to look after them
All the best
Andy
Thanks all...I've had a beer. I'll do my best to look after them.
Need to do lots of reading!
Already made some silly mistakes.

Well done - yep, seen plenty of brood comb there and what looks like comb that has had brood which has now emerged (apart form drones) and some stores.
BTW looks more like a bong type thingy than a lamp! (not that i would know in my line of work;))

I'm about 10 miles north of you, near Yattendon.

Good job lebouche - that looks like it was hard work! not worthy

(Although I'm in Staffs now, I grew up in Burghclere, just south of Newbury and a couple of miles from Brimpton)

Thanks Legs,
Was hard work.
Much to my distress my mom called me this lunchtime and said the bathroom was full of bees again. I went in and saw what looked like drones...loads of them. My first thought was perhaps there is a piece of drone comb I left but why so many?
I checked the hive...looked again like drones. It's only been three days and there were definately females before...and the comb has gone a nasty colour and I though I saw some malformed grubs or wotever u call them in beekeeper language.

V sad if they are going to die (which I suspect).

Here are some pics.
There were def females three days ago as some tried to sting me and left some in my glove fingers.

Latest posts

Back