July 2012 Healthy Bees Plan Newsletter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HealthyBeesPlan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
For those of you who haven't already seen the latest newsletter detailing developments from the Healhty Bees Plan please see attached.

I note use of the weasellism "Medicines for Bees"* as coined and used by companies with a very dubious history with bees..... But anything to do with DEFRA and FERA tends to be biased in that direction.........

*(When "icides" were introduced to India they used the same trick, referring to their toxins as "medicines" to give them a wholesome glow.....)

And would they like to confirm that "Residues in honey, due to improper use of medicines, could undermine its image as a healthy natural product" will be carried on to having the same concern over the contamination of honey by GMOs?........
v3WTST

I note use of the weasellism "Medicines for Bees"* as coined and used by companies with a very dubious history with bees..... But anything to do with DEFRA and FERA tends to be biased in that direction.........

*(When "icides" were introduced to India they used the same trick, referring to their toxins as "medicines" to give them a wholesome glow.....)

A medicine is a substance or compound used to treat disease. Not all medicines are pharmaceutical in nature. Fumidil B is being withdrawn this year, so that won't be going in to honey stocks and I can't say I'm sorry. Though I don't know the actual effect it has, I feel very uncomfortable about its use.

2,810 additional beekeepers registered on BeeBase so far during 2012 leading to 27,514 registered in total as of July 2012.
Haven't seen the BBKA membership figures recently but I recall reading an estimate that some 50% of beekeepers were not in any association or group. Since registering is free, I'd expect some to be registered but not paying BKA subs. That leaves those who will distance themselves from any official contact whatever, those who will perpetually not get round to it and those who have no internet experience to enable registration.

Anyone seen current estimates of what percentage are registered?

Haven't seen the BBKA membership figures recently but I recall reading an estimate that some 50% of beekeepers were not in any association or group. Since registering is free, I'd expect some to be registered but not paying BKA subs. That leaves those who will distance themselves from any official contact whatever, those who will perpetually not get round to it and those who have no internet experience to enable registration.

Anyone seen current estimates of what percentage are registered?

About 200% ? :bigear:

(They appear to never remove anything)

Latest posts

Back