Joys of Beekeeping in Toxteth

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm not good, any survivors in the glass damaged hive?
i used to keep my bee's near Rose Lane, had a few people looking possibly a couple of stones thrown at the hive once, but never anything this bad. hope you get up and running asap, did you have the hives strapped down? i used to bury the legs of the hive stand in the ground then strap the hives to the stand. my thinking was that if anyone wanted to push them over they would have to undo the strap first.... hopefully alerting the bees.

mmm, No doubt after watching the other sub humans on the pitch in South America!

Let's just hope they all have flash burns.

And I suppose "the rozzers" were far too busy joy-riding to do anything other than issue the next sequenced crime number?

Last edited:
So sorry to see that carnage. Just hope that more than a few beez got to them before they got away...

The ony time I have been to toxteth was early ish in the 80s. He locked the car doors before going down the high street and hoped we would not need to stop - anywhere! He was a liverpudlian and showed me the areas around Liverpool that had been bombed in WWII and still left desolated.

Hopefully things have improved over the last 40 years! It gave me a lasting impression of Liverpool, not much changed by the reports from students in the 90s. Baseball-batted gangs waiting for isolated students leaving the Uni campus and off-licences where the money was passed through a bottle sized aperture before the bottle was passed back through the same hole; all single bottles being on demo behind thick laminated glass. We were there only the one night and I was propositioned by a young lady even though we were not near any red light area. My lasting impression was of a very deprived city.

Has it changed at all?

I've spent a fair bit of time in Liverpool over the years and there's good and bad ... like any big city. The jokes about taking your wheels with you when you park your car proved to be true in my case when some beggar jacked my Ford Cortina Ghia up, nicked all four alloy wheels (in the days when locking wheel nuts were optional extras) when I left it parked overnight in an insecure car park. I stayed at what used to be the Thistle Hotel just along from the Liver Building and went out for a meal with a few colleagues who were also staying there ... they even had swipe cards on the lift doors ... when I came back everything in my room had gone - I thought there must have been a problem with my room and the Hotel staff had moved me ... went down to reception only to find that all my stuff, luggage, clothes, case, briefcase ... had gone but STOLEN .. about the only thing they left was my toothbrush !! Apparently was a regular occurrence before CCTV ..

I had rather hoped things had improved in more recent years ... seems there's still some Ar5000les up there .... Who could think it's acceptable to set fire to a hive ?

Last edited:
The other hive seems OK apart from the broken crown board, but not in the best of moods when I cleared off the glass & put on a new one.
I suspect it was some little sod who got stung when hiding from the police, as it's actually quite nice around here now compared to some parts of town. There is a great community spirit & it's improved a lot in the 20 years since I first lived here, but I wouldn't leave my car on the street overnight!

Maybe the young lady just took a shine to you Rab?

That is a sad sight indeed. I had problems at a previous apiary site I ended up moving them as what ever I did the vandals took as another challenge.

The ony time I have been to toxteth was early ish in the 80s. He locked the car doors before going down the high street and hoped we would not need to stop - anywhere! He was a liverpudlian and showed me the areas around Liverpool that had been bombed in WWII and still left desolated.

Hopefully things have improved over the last 40 years! It gave me a lasting impression of Liverpool, not much changed by the reports from students in the 90s. Baseball-batted gangs waiting for isolated students leaving the Uni campus and off-licences where the money was passed through a bottle sized aperture before the bottle was passed back through the same hole; all single bottles being on demo behind thick laminated glass. We were there only the one night and I was propositioned by a young lady even though we were not near any red light area. My lasting impression was of a very deprived city.

Has it changed at all?

There are parts of Liverpool that are lovely. And in the late 90s when I moved here as a kid I admit it was a dump, and I'd come back to the UK from spending a few years of my childhood in South Africa, so for me to see central Liverpool and think "What a dump" should say a lot! The 2000s did a lot to rejuvenate the city but there are still areas where... well, things like this are liable to happen, sadly. On the whole Liverpool is a nice city now though.

Sorry to see that damage, probably a sign of the times rather than anything to do with location.

Having said that, I couldn't resist asking if robbing was a particular problem in your neck of the woods :icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back