Jaxx from Derby

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxx

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
I've been a long time lurker on the forum, and kept quiet as often it's better to listen (read) more than than talk. Gets me in less trouble :)

I have 4 national hives, all slightly different looking from the outside as I like to make them myself. Did my first inspection yesterday and happy to say all got through the winter and have brood in all stages. I guess that makes me a lucky beek.

I used to help a beekeeper when I was a lot younger, and when I got my own house with garden big enough, I took the hobby up again. Love sitting and watching them with tea and cake :)

:welcome:
Don't think that keeping quiet will keep you out of trouble!
:D

I used to help a beekeeper when I was a lot younger, and when I got my own house with garden big enough, I took the hobby up again. Love sitting and watching them with tea and cake :)
My bees ignore tea and cake! :D
There ! You're in trouble already :)
Welcome, look forward to more posts from you !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be honest.......you've been dying to join in......and now you have, so look forward to more.
Welcome
E

Thank you for the welcome messages,

For your, ahem, amusement, and to try the upload button. Here's one of my hives made from recycled wood. I'm a fan of a pitched roof with some overhang to keep the hive sides and landing board a little dryer when it rains.

attachment.php

I haven't joined the DBKA, I've been meaning to go and see what it's like, I know the meetings are the first Tuesday of each month. Derby to Crich is a bit of a trek, and I'm still to convince my other half its a good idea to take turns driving so I can sample the ales :cheers2:

Yes, I know 35 mile round trip for me, but it's worth it.

It's an 80 mile round trip for me but its definitely worth it.

Thanks EasyBeesy, now I have no excuse! :willy_nilly:

TBH, There are a couple closer but they just don't offer anything much. I'd rather travel for the education and practical experience

For your, ahem, amusement, and to try the upload button. Here's one of my hives made from recycled wood. I'm a fan of a pitched roof with some overhang to keep the hive sides and landing board a little dryer when it rains.

attachment.php

Try attaching the image again, as you've made a few more posts it should work this time.

I would seal then ends of the chipboard as they will tend to soak water in. Use a clear bathroom silicone sealer
E

Thanks Enrico, the ends are already sealed. I then left it outside to weather for a month so anything in the sealer had chance to go off. I'm not expecting it to last too long, I have another in the pipeline from hardwood.

Back