is it too late to treat?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward.21

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I got two nuc's late in the season and i have only just finished feeding them up so that they have a good stores. i was going to treat earlier but they needed food more than apiguard. my question is, is it too late to treat them or should i give it a go. i understand that apiguard is to be applied once then again two weeks later, is it a bad idea to only do it once? can i feed and treat?
Thanks in advance.

ive put my clearing boards on tonight and putting apiguard on tomorrow evening.
good weather is forecast til at least the weekend

If you only use the one treatment you wont kill the mites that have been sealed in the cells.

You need to do 2 treatments ideally so I would get the Apiguard on asap. You can treat and feed although sometimes they are reluctant to take food down with thymol on.

I'm halfway through treatment and have just fed one of my hives as it was very light, and they took it down quickly.

I have a nuc in the same situation. I have been feeding this week and will apiguard at the weekend.
Looking at my records, it would be rare for me to treat before the 1st of Sept and often start in the second week. Not a problem in the sunny east.
You should be fine. Feed for a few days, then treat.
Cazza

I put the first Apiguard packs in a week ago and it had all gone yesterday - maybe it's too warm at the moment.

I'm not sure when to put the second packs in - two weeks after the first as the instructions say, or now so treatment is continuous.

I put the first Apiguard packs in a week ago and it had all gone yesterday - maybe it's too warm at the moment.

I'm not sure when to put the second packs in - two weeks after the first as the instructions say, or now so treatment is continuous.

The instructions are there for a reason surely?
Cazza

it is continuous, even though the tub is empty, it is now all over the hive and the bees and killing mites

if you have ever put on 40 tubs of apiguard on hives just the stray odd splash on the beesuit or fingers will make the inside of your car smell of thymol for some time

"I put the first Apiguard packs in a week ago and it had all gone yesterday"

opening up for no reason has not helped the treatment!!!!!! you've let out a load of the vapour. treated hives should be minimal volume and shut down/sealed as much as possible.

"I put the first Apiguard packs in a week ago and it had all gone yesterday"

opening up for no reason has not helped the treatment!!!!!! you've let out a load of the vapour. treated hives should be minimal volume and shut down/sealed as much as possible.

Maybe they have a glass quilt so they can see what's left without opening up?
Cazza

Sorry Shirley!

Better to just treat and walk away. If it states two weeks, leave them for two weeks. Temps are still plenty warm enough for Apiguard.

"Maybe they have a glass quilt so they can see what's left without opening up?
Cazza"

sorry as a 100% polycarbonater i should've considered that!!!

Latest posts

Back