Is it me or has it gone 'swarm mad'?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so that message came out wrong, it is NOT the newbees fault that there are more swarms. what i was trying to say was that , the people selling the stocks they are buying are using bees that will breed quickly and as such they are using to there advantage the swarming instint of the bees and i think that this is now returning to a stronger instint for the bees

I notified the local council- as well as being Googled (didnt hurt:blush5:). Had about 20 calls- 8 being decent swarms. Some the good old bumble - and one wasp nest - Lord - these people are allowed to vote too!! It was a white crispy ball, grapefruit size in a low shrub! Some swarm!!

May I enquire as to how u are being notified of swarms in the area? I live in the area u mention and have lost a swarm in the past couple of weeks. It would be nice to be notified also so I can collect, possibly my own!!!

I blame the weather - don't we all - the stop start season with spells of good weather where the bees were flying like mad followed by a week or more of non flying weather where the bees go stir crazy and have nothing better to do than make queen cells which the beekeeper doesn't find cos it's too cold/wet to inspect. Then bingo next fine day they are off.

Nail on head MJBee, plus TIME do do all these adhoc jobs and inspections can cause issues.
I sometimes wish I was retired.

Makes no difference- I AM retired and there are not enough hours in the day - Ah! Just off to make some Pimms!

May I enquire as to how u are being notified of swarms in the area? I live in the area u mention and have lost a swarm in the past couple of weeks. It would be nice to be notified also so I can collect, possibly my own!!!

Really?

I picked up two in Stockport within the last few weeks and one in Marple yesterday.

Wow.....maybe I've got your bees?!!!

It's usually the local council, police or a pest controller.

Latest posts

Back