Is foundation less beekeeping the way for would

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andre cardona

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is foundation less beekeeping the way for would for us all We need clean wax. Not contaminated foundation ?

Yes if you want to...or make your own foundation.

What problems have your bees encountered with commercially produced foundation?

Last edited:
I'm thinking it not clean it's recycled and how about diseases and chemical biled up.

What particular diseases have your bees had problems with, which you think may of been caused by the foundation you have used?

Last edited:
The argument is usually about pesticide residues.
but i think the argument usually glosses over the details of the transfer and accumulation mechanism.

Ah okay, I assume even new comb would be contaminated by whatever the bees bring in?

Ah okay, I assume even new comb would be contaminated by whatever the bees bring in?

Yes or wotever the bees have. And melting it will not help. And we import beeswax from all over the world to make awer foundation.?

Last edited:
This year I m going to experiment with using a piece of mesh instead of wax foundation in a frame in my obs hive. Just to see what they do.

The real concern should be about accumulation of pesticide within recycled wax whether foundation or comb made entirely by the bees. So we may have to think further than just going foundationless and think in terms of how to modify practice to minimise residue build up.

The real concern should be about accumulation of pesticide within recycled wax whether foundation or comb made entirely by the bees. So we may have to think further than just going foundationless and think in terms of how to modify practice to minimise residue build up.

its not just pesticides a good number of the chemicals are the ones beekeepers put in the hives.

You only have to smell some of the cheap wax foundation from some retailers to realize something is not right.

its not just pesticides a good number of the chemicals are the ones beekeepers put in the hives.

You only have to smell some of the cheap wax foundation from some retailers to realize something is not right.

Well I was using the term pesticides to mean anything that kills any pest, including pests that we beekeepers try to control.
You only have to look back to the cumulative effects of DDT and other pesticides to see that accumulation is the killer for larger animals as well as the pests we try to control, so it would seem to be sensible to limit the accumulation, in the hive, of any pesticide as well as the enviroment in general.

This is wot I was thinking :iagree:

Latest posts

Back