Is fondant and icing the same thing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluejag

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Probably a stupid question but is fondant and the pre made icing you can buy in supermarkets the same thing?

Just I look at the contents of pre made icing and it has additives which I do not will harm the bees at all.

Just everyone mentions fondant but I cant find that at supermarkets and there are no cake shops near me

Noooooooooo. there are additives in cake icing. Fondant much healthier for them.
get fondant from bee suppliers...or nearly time for 1:1 syrup to help bees as they are not in cluster with these temperatures.
And.. have you any bees yet??

But beginners section -NO questions stupid so don't be afraid to ask.. We all have --we just ask that you all read the books too.

Supermarket plain (uncoloured & unflavoured) fondant icing will do.
The 'additives' don't harm the bees. (This comes up regularly on here)

However, the supermarket product is (per kilo) rather expensive.
Use it if you need some in a hurry. Or only need a little (as with feeding a mini-nuc).

Bako (commercial bakers) fondant is about £1.10 per kilo. But you do have to (usually) buy a whole 12.5kg box at a time. It will store, if kept tightly wrapped. But it is a big, heavy lump.
Two colonies in total should have 40kg stores for the winter. Compared to that 12.5kg isn't actually very much.

Another route is to ask your fellow association members, often they may have an excess or be looking for someone to split a pack with.

In an emergency, anything will do. It's all better than starving. The basic ingredient of any commercial icing is pulverised sugar (sucrose). That's exactly the same as the bagged sugar, but mechanically ground to a small crystal size. Ideally the fewer additions the better. "Bakers' fondant" is pulverised sugar plus glucose syrup (glucose and water) so it stays mobile as a paste. As previous posters and in various other threads have said it's used by bakers to ice buns so it's in 12.5Kg boxes from bakers' suppliers, some local bakers will sell a box to you if you ask nicely.

There are commercial "bee food" versions which are pretty much the same thing, they are not demonstrably better for bees than the bakers' version whatever the impression they try to give on the pack. The main difference is convenience because they are packed in 2.5Kg (or other) flat packs so there's no unwrapping or dividing up. The price varies by supplier but is invariably more than the bakers' boxes.

There are some who make their own by boiling up sugar and glucose. There is a video on this site That's good, but takes some time and is only a marginal saving over baker's fondant depending how much you buy glucose syrup for. There are older recipes, even in otherwise well regarded books, which include acid usually as vinegar, cream of tartar or lemon juice. They are using the acid to hydrolyse the sucrose. Best avoided because in the presence of acid and heat the sugars can break down to HMF which is bad for bees and in the kitchen you have no way of measuring that precisely.

Supermarket ready to use icing has additives to make it workable, one supermarket version lists
Sugar,Glucose Syrup ,Palm Oil ,Humectant (Glycerine) ,Stabilisers (Tragacanth, Cellulose) ,Modified Tapioca Starch ,Acidity regulators (Sodium Acetate, Acetic Acid) ,Flavouring
The other ingredients are in small proportions and probably harmless, but unnecessary and a very expensive way of buying sugar at around 4 quid for half a kilo. Boxed, dry icing sugar has anti caking agent added, a frequently seen brand lists
Iced Sugar (98.5%),Anti Caking Agent E341
E341 is calcium phosphate. Again, probably harmless but only there to extend the shelf life of the dry product and expensive at double the price of straight sugar.

An alternative, and used by many beekeepers of long standing is sugar. Just as it comes in 1 Kg packs. Tear a hole in the side, dunk the pack in water for a couple of seconds and put the torn bit over a hole in the usual crown/feeding/escape board. The advantage of fondant, especially if most of the surface is still wrapped in polythene is that it doesn't go hard as quickly. But if sugar is what you have to hand and the bees are starving, wet sugar is quick and available anywhere.

Last edited:
If you have a 'real' bakers where you live that bake on the premises then go and ask them if they will supply you with some fondant icing. Mine are really helpful and while they charge me a little for handling they save me many car miles. Some will even cut off a small amount for you from a box. I have five hives and a box will last me one or two years if used as it should be for an emergency feed. If you feed your bees properly in autumn in theory you should never need fondant.
Never be afraid to ask but the search ability on here is quite good!
E

Last resort feeding in an emergency: buy a bag of sugar soak it in some water until its gone all soggy, rip the bottom of the bag and place over the feeder hole.

Probably a stupid question but is fondant and the pre made icing you can buy in supermarkets the same thing?

Just I look at the contents of pre made icing and it has additives which I do not will harm the bees at all.

Just everyone mentions fondant but I cant find that at supermarkets and there are no cake shops near me

Last resort feeding in an emergency: buy a bag of sugar soak it in some water until its gone all soggy, rip the bottom of the bag and place over the feeder hole.

:offtopic:

Latest posts

Back