Is beekeeping getting harder?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxnatbees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
My impression is that due to climate change, novel pests etc there is less profit in beekeeping now than, say, 10 years ago. What are your views on this?

Obviously you get more skilled as time goes on, which compensates, but do you have to work significantly harder now compared to, say, 5 years after you started, for the same level of innflation-adjusted income?

Beekeeping for profit, suggests running a business. Using one type of live stock as an income source has always been precarious and requires appropriate acumen and passion.
I am a hobbyist and I still manage to make a small profit which covers my costs and slowly repays the initial investment in materials etc, but then I am not a greedy capitalistic person.

Pests yes, weather I don't know. I've found there is a massive difference in my bees' winter survival and subsequent success with effective varroa treatment compared to years when I cocked it up in the Autumn.

I know that's not something you're likely to take on yourself @oxnatbees but that is my experience. As many others have said, before varroa, beekeeping was a lot easier.

Also, for thought with us reflecting on a few decades at most regarding weather: we think this awful April is challenging and unusual (and it has been rubbish) but there is a reason for folk sayings such as 'April showers' and 'ne'er cast a clout afore May is out'. They come from a time when people were much more in nature than now and used to be more attuned to it. A showery wet April is not uncommon historically and neither is May being a bit nippy. I do wish we'd get proper cold winters though.

Also, for thought with us reflecting on a few decades at most regarding weather: we think this awful April is challenging and unusual (and it has been rubbish) but there is a reason for folk sayings such as 'April showers' and 'ne'er cast a clout afore May is out'. They come from a time when people were much more in nature than now and used to be more attuned to it. A showery wet April is not uncommon historically

On the other hand, some parts of the UK have had way more rain than the long-term average this April. The Met Office have a blog piece about the weather in April.

James

I think there should be more respect in general for those work and make a living in the wider agriculture industry with the vagaries of the weather. Certainly more pressure and costs without any corresponding increases in honey price generally for beekeepers, even without this years poor spring. Feels like a lot of commercial guys have realized that there is a requirement to diversify and have multiple income streams rather than relying on say, honey alone.

For most hobbyists, I doubt they have even done the sums so it matters not, and income is not a primary reason for keeping.

costs without any corresponding increases in honey price
commercial guys have realized
Bulk UK honey must compete with cheap imports (currently about 88%) which gives no room to manouevre a global price.

At a smaller scale to a different market, to customers who value authenticity, rises in the price of honey have not reduced sales.

Last edited:
Hmm, I had not considered varroa, my train of musing was sparked by hearing a Greek bee farmer discussing how his migration schedule was now completely reactive, because crop A might be flowering at the usual time but a drought means no nectar, etc. Climate change. And how many people used to take up beekeeping as a moderately reliable side income stream, but maybe those days are over unless you do things at scale. With Asian Hornets on the horizon, there will be yet more time investment required.

But, people develop new stuff too. I'm hoping to hear people say "it's still profitable in Britain even with 10 hives".

My impression is that due to climate change, novel pests etc there is less profit in beekeeping now than, say, 10 years ago. What are your views on this?

Obviously you get more skilled as time goes on, which compensates, but do you have to work significantly harder now compared to, say, 5 years after you started, for the same level of innflation-adjusted income?
Farming has and always will be hard, all of the successful farmers I know are extremely skilled and intelligent business folk (like most sectors).

How the climate change has changed British weather in 10 years?

How the climate change has changed British weather in 10 years?
more days over 30C in the summer, longer warmer autumns, very little in the way of cold weather in the winter, variable springs in duration, rain and temperature.

Very general observations, and from the south of the UK, but I'm certain all have an impact on forage and bee behavior

Beekeeping is subject to vagaries of the weather,
Period.
So consistency in anything weather related is not to be expected in the UK.
I've heard it said that Australia is the hardest place in the world to keep bees. And that was before varroa.

Working with and making a profit from any form of livestock requires real commitment, knowlege and skill across multiple disciplines. it's not for the faint hearted or those that hate hard work.
Always plan for the worst and hope for best. Be prepared to invest more than you think and expect a smaller reward.

Nothing EVER goes to plan.

But the 'May' referred to is the Mayflower, Hawthorn. Yet this year in these parts, it's a good three or four weeks early and in temps barely scraping double figures.

How many of our 'bee farmers' rely solely on bees for their income as opposed to being sideliner?
That's really enlightening to know, thank you.

Latest posts

Back