Interesting crackling sound from hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have heard this crackling sound & in one of my hives the bees have created a new entrance by chewing thier way out!

I've just read A. E. McArthur's "Milestones in Beekeeping and the Swarm Trigger Discovered" in which he says such a noise is made by a queenless and/or stressed colony. I heard this a couple of times last year, once from a newly housed swarm (Q+) but I'm not sure if the other was queenless or not. Something to look out for next year!

Have a good one.

Mike.

Look, Listen, Learn - At the hive-side by Ron Brown
'Crackle crackle, like a crisp new fiver being crumpled up, in summer it means that bees are happily drawing out wax foundation. On a cold spring day it may mean acarine in the hive, causing irritation and fidgeting among the bees.'

It is a mouse which is making his way out.

rat.jpg

As I was told when I started beekeeping, "Ask 12 beekeepers the same question and you will get 14 different answers.":grouphug:

I shall lookout for Look, Listen, Learn.

Mike.

Crackling sound in Hive.

I too today started to hear that crackling sound coming from my Hive. Searched the net for info, this and one other forum were all I could find on the Topic. After reading a few posts about chewing, I went and studied my Hive very closely, and sure enough, there were bees chewing on the inside of the Entrance reducer opening. They must want a larger opening. I guess they know best, so I removed it and no more noise.

Last edited:
Ripping the paper off birthday presents?:party:

interesting i wonder if it's the bees fanning close together and the sound is their wings hitting against each others? the workers were also nibbling on the wood at the hive entrance or applying propolis? Nice vid (y)

Latest posts

Back