Crackling sound from nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHiveNovice

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
So I've just done my first ever split. Three frames of capped brood and extra bees tapped in, plus new queen in a cage with fondant.

All went well. Just went out to check two hours later and all I can hear is a crackling sound coming from the hive.

Anyone experienced this with a poly nuc?

I probably shouldn't ask this but, anything to worry about?

Crackling is usually bees drawing wax. Is there foundation in there?
Hi @Erichalfbee thanks for the reply. There is foundation in there. It's a six frame poly nuc, so put in three frames of brood all with a bridge of stores on top of each frame and three frames of foundation.

I've read about it might be the bees chewing to get out?

I have had bees chewing a Paynes poly but the sound is different from a crackling.
Are they shut in?

I have had bees chewing a Paynes poly but the sound is different from a crackling.
Are they shut in?
Hey @Erichalfbee they are shut in. I've had to place it next to my two existing hives, about 6ft away. I was strongly advised keep them enclosed for a day and then place a small amount of grass in the entrance as to give best chance success of forcing reorientation. They've got ample feed and ample ventilation.

It a BS Honey poly hive.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3b4t27vvbckknju/hive sounds.mp4?dl=0
Does it sound like this? Don't worry, they are not burrowing a way out
Setting up a nuc in the same apiary doesn't require closing them in, the flying bees return to mother hive and the nuc is left with young, nurse bees, they will soon become foragers.

Hey @Swarm it does indeed. I recorded it, bit sure if you can hear it as there some background noise but it sounds similar.

Attachments

• VID_20220704_192455715.mp4
    42 MB
Agree with the others. Nucs don’t need closing up. The foragers fly home. That’s why when you make them up you put in a frame of food and extra shakes of nurse bees.

@Erichalfbee @Swarm thanks for your advice. I'll be sure to open the entrance tomorrow morning.

@Swarm I did shake extra bees in, that being said I didn't have a full frame of stores, so I have substituted that and filled the feeder up to keep them going.

Hey @Swarm it does indeed. I recorded it, bit sure if you can hear it as there some background noise but it sounds similar.
I caught a swarm in my poly nuc on Sunday and they straight away started making that noise. When I opened the nuc up a couple of hours after they had drawn an inch or 2 of comb off the roof.

Yes, the video I posted was a super being capped.

Another video of 'hive sounds'. Don't
know if you can hear this one it's loud on my smart phone but not on my lap top. Taken in Winter, a different sound altogether and quite haunting.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsvawhr3ita62tw/hive sounds 2.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3b4t27vvbckknju/hive sounds.mp4?dl=0
Does it sound like this? Don't worry, they are not burrowing a way out
Setting up a nuc in the same apiary doesn't require closing them in, the flying bees return to mother hive and the nuc is left with young, nurse bees, they will soon become foragers.

Hey this is great.
Anybody want to start a thread on hive sounds?

Latest posts

Back