Insulation in brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only remember my lip frozen to the pillow and the quick run down three flights of stairs where my mother was warming my underpants in front of the coal fire whilst making toast with the other hand - oh to be twenty-one again! :D

....and my face-cloth on the wash basin frozen stiff as a board....

....and my face-cloth on the wash basin frozen stiff as a board....

The candle in a jam jar hung under the cast iron cistern of the outside toilet to keep it from freezing and waking up to the sounds of the steam engines on the railway at the bottom of the garden slipping off steam as the wheels failed to find a grip on the icy rails ... the joys of Yorkshire winters in the 1950's and early 60's !!

The candle in a jam jar hung under the cast iron cistern of the outside toilet to keep it from freezing and waking up to the sounds of the steam engines on the railway at the bottom of the garden slipping off steam as the wheels failed to find a grip on the icy rails ... the joys of Yorkshire winters in the 1950's and early 60's !!

Winter of 1947 was bad. Huge blocks of ice along the pavements - age 6 I dreampt of using them as sledges. As well as the cold - a miners' strike in mid-winter!

All pure luxury! all 17 of us had to bail the water out from the hole in the road using our one shared shoe whilst grandads arthritic body held the piece of tin roof up high enough for the rain to run off, one of our brothers I forget his name! found a toy spade so we dug down to get an extra bedroom for guests, we all grew up with proper morals we loved each other often.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

All pure luxury! all 17 of us had to bail the water out from the hole in the road using our one shared shoe whilst grandads arthritic body held the piece of tin roof up high enough for the rain to run off, one of our brothers I forget his name! found a toy spade so we dug down to get an extra bedroom for guests, we all grew up with proper morals we loved each other often.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

Unexpected "splashing" during morning micturition due to ice toilet bowl, then finding toothbrush frozen as well.

P F

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

I know! up an hour before sunrise having just gone to bed an hour after sunrise to milk the bad tempered three legged cow before the farmer caught
us, Blooming kids have no idea you can't tell them anything.

Oh! insulation I got lost in the mement there!

Last edited:
Along the lines of the thread, I have a home made 6 frame nuc and was wondering whether there would any benefit to lagging the outside with kingspan et al. The roof is already done. Perhaps a question for DerekM.

Along the lines of the thread, I have a home made 6 frame nuc and was wondering whether there would any benefit to lagging the outside with kingspan et al. The roof is already done. Perhaps a question for DerekM.

its worthwhile providing you have a seal between the roof insulation and the side insulation

as below in this one the bees enter in the gap between the cover and the nuc hidden inside

picture.php

Excellent. I've just picked up a dozen sheets of celtex form a local building site for the price of a jar of honey! Its amazing what you can get if you just ask.
Thank you DerekM.

Latest posts

Back