Inspection Tray Debris

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would prefer not to start a discussion on the merits or otherwise of leaving the inspection tray under the OMF for the winter......

However, I have chosen to leave mine in, albeit about 5cm below the OMF. The result is that I can try to read the debris to give me some idea of what is going on inside the hive. I particular I would like to be able to spot when/if they are broodless (so I can vape them). Normally there is a scattering of bee parts, dead mites, poo, wax bits etc, in lines aligned with the frames. Today I spotted this:
View attachment 22970
Any ideas what this might mean? My first thought is that they are tearing down drone cells.
I wouldn't be able to resist opening the hive for that one and having a look, even if the weather was cool. Extraordinary.

I would prefer not to start a discussion on the merits or otherwise of leaving the inspection tray under the OMF for the winter......

However, I have chosen to leave mine in, albeit about 5cm below the OMF. The result is that I can try to read the debris to give me some idea of what is going on inside the hive. I particular I would like to be able to spot when/if they are broodless (so I can vape them). Normally there is a scattering of bee parts, dead mites, poo, wax bits etc, in lines aligned with the frames. Today I spotted this:
View attachment 22970
Any ideas what this might mean? My first thought is that they are tearing down drone cells.
I've seen something similar when I've had a swarm colony rip down old wax and rebuild new.

If it was my colony I would work out on the inspection board where abouts in the hive this is happening and have a look, not necessarily taking frames out, but removing crown board and having a look down the seems even using a infa red torch which shouldn't alarm the bees.

If you throw the tray debris into a tray with white spirit the varroa float apparently.

For heaven's sake @The Poot in Somerset put us out of our misery and have a look. Tuesday looks like a good day most places
Leave me out of this one Dani😇
(I would leave them alone anyway and just monitor with the inspection tray.)

Darn it! I just joined the thread again.........✌️

I opened the hive yesterday for the first time and took some photos of the frames, just to conclude my post #16.
I don't know why they did this, back in November, but it is clear they were just demolishing parts of the comb.
Hive 1 Frame 4.jpgHive 1 Frame 5.jpgHive 1 Frame 6.jpgHive 1 Frame 7.jpg

Latest posts

Back