The Effectiveness of OA Vaping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some folk claim to have varroa free colonies(Australians used to ) and some also claim to be the Son of David Ike.
I'm under no illusion and despite not having any real problems with them I know they're there.
I vape without predudice .
I'd like not to have to but it's a massive leap and there will be untold casualty in the process.

Follow up to original post - second vape results. About 50% of fall from first vape.
(Often get that little heap of OA on the board afterwards. I suspect it’s something to do with vaping from beneath the floor?)

52AA43DD-B526-4CC4-A71A-DA3F1A616C24.jpeg

The vapour recrystallised quickly due to cooling and fell straight through the floor.
I vape from the top .
You can see what's going on and can aim the spout of the gas vap to cover the cluster if one is visible.
Once the fog has cleared you know it's all done.

The vapour recrystallised quickly due to cooling and fell straight through the floor.
I vape from the top .
You can see what's going on and can aim the spout of the gas vap to cover the cluster if one is visible.
Once the fog has cleared you know it's all done.
I use a Varrox and I’m more inclined to believe the “heap” is due to recrystalisation on the mesh floor - the “heap” is exactly where the Varrox pan sat. There is a stain in the mesh floor in the same location.
But - I’ve been known to be wrong before….

I use a Varrox and I’m more inclined to believe the “heap” is due to recrystalisation on the mesh floor - the “heap” is exactly where the Varrox pan sat. There is a stain in the mesh floor in the same location.
But - I’ve been known to be wrong before….
No, you are right - but that is only a small amount of the whole dose - the bees will still get enough of it.

@elainemary I'm not familiar with the term "mite bomb" would you explain please or perhaps a link?
I mean it to mean when a colony robs another (eg a weak or a feral or a dying one) that has a high mite load, the mites will infect / jump on the robbing colony. So it’s like an explosion of mites transferred to the robbing hive and numbers expand much higher than expected.

Well ... I'm now in year 12 of TF... don't have any varroa related losses .. indeed, for the last three years I've not lost any colonies and prior to that - never to Varroa issues.

I don't recommend going TF to anyone - but if you do then the key is proper varroa testing - sugar rolls on a regular basis. I'm convinced that some colonies do cope with some levels of varroa but I also think that it is also related to the foraging area. If there is interaction with colonies in the area that have heavy varroa loads then the chances of remaining TF are limited.

I took over two colonies from a member on here that had been infested to a massive level in the apiary where they were sited - they got well vaped when they arrived so I knew the mite load was low and over the season they have been fitted in to my methods ... so far, they are as low in mite numbers as my other colonies. No signs of varroa related disease whereas they had DWV in evidence where they were ... is it location combined with other factors ?

Who knows ... but regular sugar rolls will give you a true indication of mite levels and if they are low - do you really need to treat ? There's always a case for treating regardless but it's a harder case to justify being TF. (and frankly it's a harder path to follow).
I can completely relate to your explanation. Down in the town I have to be really vigilant looking for signs of Varro on my colonies there and will always treat.

At home high up in the Pennines where there are fewer beekeepers there are definitely fewer mites in colonies that are related to those in the valley. I’ve just added Apivar to my 3 colonies at home, drops are small eg 15 on day 3 -4 of treatment (unfortunately I didn’t monitor the drop day 1&2) and only 3 mites in 2 others.
Given these will be phoretic mites and only a 1-2 day snapshot I’ll keep monitoring over the next 6 weeks from curiosity.

I recall reading a blog which suggests after treatment you can’t fully eradicate and around 50 mites are left, which can explode to the 1000 threshold by the following summer. So for colonies to cope I think you’re right it’s more than just the environment. Has to be genetics or learnt behaviour in the form of varroa sensitive hygienic behaviour eg uncapping and disrupting the reproductive cycle of the mite. This requires more skills to identify and as you say much more time monitoring.

I noticed Steve Martin is running a workshop at the National honey show on how to monitor capping and uncapping rates. However you need to bring your own microscope and some brood, a bit of a challenge if travelling by train! Otherwise I’d have signed up for it.

I mean it to mean when a colony robs another (eg a weak or a feral or a dying one) that has a high mite load, the mites will infect / jump on the robbing colony. So it’s like an explosion of mites transferred to the robbing hive and numbers expand much higher than expected.
Understood thanks it was a genuine Q apols if it came across as a challenge it wasn't meant that way, I'd just never heard of it before. Thanks

Back