infrared photos through mesh floor?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there is radiated IR it will warm the underlying surface (even if from -10 to -9 for example). This will effect how much IR the surface itself radiates, so the area beneath the OMF will have an effect.
In answer to the question re heat loss: assuming a void under the OMF, I'd guess 10%

I ve measured 25% of the total heat output of the bees is radiated through floor .
I must admit to pretty much ignoring radiation as a significant form of heat loss on account of the relatively low temperatures. I leave monitoring boards in place over winter to a) monitor what's happening inside the hive, and, b) to try to prevent wind eddies under the hive sucking out warm air.

25% of total heat output due to radiation is a really significant heat loss. Would a wooden monitoring board reduce this amount to any great extent?

CVB

Last edited:
I've been wondering about a layer of aluminised polystyrene stuck to the "inspection" board - the stuff you stick to the wall behind a radiator. (I have it spare).

it's not going to vary unless the area of the mesh is different or the porosity of the mesh is different or bees are at different temp
I was thinking the temperature of the brood box overall might be higher (especially if clustered) with the poly, so higher % loss via the OMF, though maybe less overall heat loss.

I must admit to pretty much ignoring radiation as a significant form of heat loss on account of the relatively low temperatures. I leave monitoring boards in place over winter to a) monitor what's happening inside the hive, and, b) to try to prevent wind eddies under the hive sucking out warm air.

25% of total heat output due to radiation is a really significant heat loss. Would a wooden monitoring board reduce this amount to any great extent?

CVB
The radiated energy will be absorbed by the wood. to return it to the bees you have to stop boards losses so that it will convect and radiate back. That means the board needs to be insulated as you can't just reflect it back cos the detritus will prevent that

I was thinking the temperature of the brood box overall might be higher (especially if clustered) with the poly, so higher % loss via the OMF, though maybe less overall heat loss.
but then polys often have a smaller mesh aperture ... The complexity of thermal radiation make me pull at my hair at times.

Lots?
You only have to put your hand under there. That’s why most of mine are now on solid floors.
Hi Dani, I’ve been pondering changing my hives to solid floors and wondered how you check for varroa without an inspection board and do you need to clean the floor often or are the bees pretty good at that? A lot of evidence points to Asian Hornets being able to detect beehives from the scent of honey, wax or propolis so it seems prudent to move hives away from OMFs to eliminate the detritus attracting them.

Hi Dani, I’ve been pondering changing my hives to solid floors and wondered how you check for varroa without an inspection board and do you need to clean the floor often or are the bees pretty good at that? A lot of evidence points to Asian Hornets being able to detect beehives from the scent of honey, wax or propolis so it seems prudent to move hives away from OMFs to eliminate the detritus attracting them.
I keep two hives with mesh floors to act as varroa sentinels. It’s not ideal as there can be quite a variation in infestation within the apiary.
The answer to monitoring is undoubtedly a sugar roll or alcohol wash.
But then a question is… do you sample every hive?

Latest posts

Back