infrared photos through mesh floor?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep two hives with mesh floors to act as varroa sentinels. It’s not ideal as there can be quite a variation in infestation within the apiary.
The answer to monitoring is undoubtedly a sugar roll or alcohol wash.
But then a question is… do you sample every hive?
A solution would be if the mesh and tray was combined like a cassette that you could slide in. Then it could be easily swapped with insulation.

but then polys often have a smaller mesh aperture ... The complexity of thermal radiation make me pull at my hair at times.
I guess you will lose a lot of heat through radiation if you pull your hair out Derek? 😄

A solution would be if the mesh and tray was combined like a cassette that you could slide in. Then it could be easily swapped with insulation.
You would have to have a slide out solid floor. You can’t leave the mesh in place or the bees can’t keep it clean. My bees keep the solid floor spotless.
It seems like a huge faff
Just vape four times and be done with

I keep two hives with mesh floors to act as varroa sentinels. It’s not ideal as there can be quite a variation in infestation within the apiary.
The answer to monitoring is undoubtedly a sugar roll or alcohol wash.
But then a question is… do you sample every hive?
I try to sample all the hives through the year (combination of floor drops & sugar roll) but this year was so bonkers with swarming & queens going AWOL (not to mention a new puppy!), I didn’t get round to all of them. When I move to solid floors (which I feel is inevitable given we are on the south coast and nearest AH incursion was only 40 miles away), then I need to be more disciplined in my checking and/or vape them more often. I’ll research some easy methods to DIY them from OMFs to solid.

You would have to have a slide out solid floor. You can’t leave the mesh in place or the bees can’t keep it clean. My bees keep the solid floor spotless.
It seems like a huge faff
Just vape four times and be done with
Sold!

I read somewhere that the trays get stuck easily and you don’t want to either attract hornets or trap them under the floor where the bees can see them - even greater stress I would think.
Yes, the trays did stick but not since I planed them a little. Excellent wasp trap. One European hornet entered last year, none this year.

Attachments

• IMG_0207 (2).jpeg
    IMG_0207 (2).jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Yes, the trays did stick but not since I planed them a little. Excellent wasp trap. One European hornet entered last year, none this year.
Andrew Durham did say that the bees get extremely stressed when AH buzz about under the omf.
I think they'd be similarly affected by handfuls of wasps buzzing about under there emitting distress hormones?

Andrew Durham did say that the bees get extremely stressed when AH buzz about under the omf.
I think they'd be similarly affected by handfuls of wasps buzzing about under there emitting distress hormones?
I've never been aware of that. Maybe wasp distress pheromones (if there are such things) would make the bees happy - serve 'em right......??

I've never been aware of that. Maybe wasp distress pheromones (if there are such things) would make the bees happy - serve 'em right......??
Wasps release a distress pheromone when they're squashed too. It attracts more wasps to the scene. That's why I always remind mentees not to squash wasps on their hives when they're doing an inspection!

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot about the lucky Scots islanders!
Thanks Little bees
This should be for a different thread, but varroa has been in Caithness at the very top of the Scottish mainland since 2014. With only a 10 mile stretch of water between its closest point and here. Maps like the above are a help but it will only take someone who doesn’t know or doesn’t care to change our beekeeping forever. Meanwhile the 30-35 beekeepers with the 160+ colonies between us will carry on as normal.
Sorry all, but that’s my keep varroa out of Orkney rant over for moment!

Last edited:
it will only take someone who doesn’t know or doesn’t care to change our beekeeping forever. Meanwhile the 30-35 beekeepers with the 160+ colonies between us will carry on as normal.
Sorry all, but that’s my keep varroa out of Orkney rant over for moment!

Rant justified, no apologies needed! 🙂
With only 30-35 beekeepers on Orkney you're probably all on the same page re queen imports so 🤞🤞🤞for no stowaways!

Rant justified, no apologies needed! 🙂
With only 30-35 beekeepers on Orkney you're probably all on the same page re queen imports so 🤞🤞🤞for no stowaways!
We are now at the stage where we can supply local bees to anyone wanting to start up here. We did struggle a few years back when there was an explosion in interest here. Also it looks like a record number of nucs will be overwintered for next year. Definitely no queen imports.
So far when we’ve been approached by responsible beekeepers from outside Orkney wanting to move here, they have agreed not to take their bees with them to keep us varroa free. Two of our association members did a lot of work behind the scenes to help with the above map.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back