Import of NZ bees into UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Letting the police know might be a wise move, and no doubt they will be interested to hear that some one is keen enough to create fake addys.

However having known a forensic computer person, they are in serious silly land if they think they are untracable.

PH

It sounds to me that because ITLD had anticipated opposition he feels that nothing needs to be changed other than coming to some arrangement with Ron.

I for one will be disappointed if that's the case.

Letting the police know might be a wise movePH

Agree 100%. Anyone who would even consider making those kind of threats should feel the full force of the law (probably end up with an asbo - but that's a whole different thread!).
I also think it's wose on security grounds not to mention the exact locations - there are plenty of unscrupulous people out there who would relish the chance to get their hands on your bees.

I hope ITLD and Ron come to some arrangement. I for one think that would be a positive end to the thread. There will, of course, still be some disagreements and outstanding issues but these have had plenty of airplay and can be better furthered out in the "real world".

The compromise is good news.

What is going on will, for now remain between Ron and myself.

I don’t know how people got your email address as from my memory you have not posted it on the forum but then again you perhaps like many of us communicate with it and it in places may be public record.

I wondered that too, but you only need tio do a little seacrh using my name and beekeeping and stuff i posted on things like the old newsgroup sci.ag.beekeeping comes up, complete with e-mail address

I hope nothing serious comes of the threat, the Animal Rights Brigade or what ever they call them selves comes to mind and if you suspect it also to be the case I suggest you report it to the police.

This has already been suggested but my feeling is that it ia all empty noise and that nothing will come of it. Going to the police is probably an over reaction at this time.

Ok its your call but if it was me no hesitation if only to log the threat.

Ok its your call but if it was me no hesitation if only to log the threat.

Thank for all on and off forum who have expressed their distaste for this shenanigans.

I am fairly relaxed about it as I have run into such rubbish before and do not take it as seriously as might be an initial reaction. A lot of hot air to try to scare or alarm or generally unsettle the entity they are opposed to.

Main reason? Maybe I attribute too much intelligence to people, but SURELY, if you WERE going to conduct an arson attack on someone elses bees you would not send them a message first intimating your intent. As Poly Hive says, even though these were non existent addys from a generic mail service (gmail), probably sent from some away from home terminal, it is likely they could still be traced some way. Unless it rears its head again I consider it a dead issue.

It is largely a side issue but does underscore just how intemperate some people can be when things are not running their way.

This is not for any sinister reason from my side, rather the receipt of two anonymous e-mails with spoofed addresses threatening to come round and destroy the whole project. 'torch the lot' was the term used in one and a variant of that in the other.

Threats are taken very seriously these days... and so they should be. A protest is one thing, but violence to persons or property is another.

If it was done through the beekeeping website as a PM, admin may be able to tell the IP Address of the person\s who sent the message regardless of username. He would then be able to cross reference against existing members.

If it was through a regular email client, the IP Address of the person\s will be in the message header.
If it was done via the beekeeping website, let admin know when and he should be able to find out who, again from the IP Address.

if via a normal email, the header may reveal the IP Address of the person, or\and the host provider. An official complaint can then be sent to the provider\police to give them a 'slap on the wrist'.

You can easily spoof an IPAddress, but the average person would not know how, or even think about doing so.

as for post 47, a flippent comment should not be taken literally.

it is easy to see by the wording it was not an agressive statement, just a poorly used adjective..

I could murder a pint!.... but it does not mean Mr Pint or family should be worried. :cheers2:

Is there a good reason for assuming that the threats came from someone on here?

Is there a good reason for assuming that the threats came from someone on here?

I would like to hope not.... thats why I referenced the email client method of contact!

as for post 47, a flippent comment should not be taken literally.:

I had actually not noticed post 47 nor was I aware of its tone until pointed out to me by somone who reads but never posts, who I was talking to on the phone.

In the light of your thought it was flippant I have re-read it. I cannot see it as flippant. The post reads more apoplectic than anything else. However, as a newcomer to the forum, it may be that neither I, nor the person bringing it to my attention, are familiar with Somerfords style of humour....................hmmm

Again.............unless this little episode rears its head again I consider the matter closed.

In an attempt to lighten the tone somewhat ...

What a thread, we've had all sorts:

Fears over imported packages and Biosecurity
Questions on ethics ...corporate and individual
Fears over imported queens and Biosecurity
Co-Op engagement planning
Questions about practicality of breeding programmes
Questions around race and immigration controls
Offers of large scale cleansing services
Missing survivalists
Threats to livelihoods

It is just getting better and more exciting as we reach the centenary.

What were those people thinking of when they asked for its closure?!?!?!

Have I missed anything?

Sam

In an attempt to lighten the tone somewhat ...

What a thread, we've had all sorts:

Fears over imported packages and Biosecurity
Questions on ethics ...corporate and individual
Fears over imported queens and Biosecurity
Co-Op engagement planning
Questions about practicality of breeding programmes
Questions around race and immigration controls
Offers of large scale cleansing services
Missing survivalists
Threats to livelihoods

It is just getting better and more exciting as we reach the centenary.

What were those people thinking of when they asked for its closure?!?!?!

Have I missed anything?

Sam

All we need is a bit of adultery and then we will have a perfect script for a soap opera

The Bektas ( not a kebab accompaniament)

As someone in line for Admin's medal I knew I'd been waiting for something!........ :)

Brilliant! I was wondering how we'd get to 100 pages now that the galloping warhorse is running out of steam?

Not medals but the Beek version of the Baftas - the Bektas? T= tantrum? Or tiara? Pad out at least 5 pages discussing a title?

I'll make a start:

Best constructive input: Admin - for applying exactly the correct amount of administrative intervention.

Best critical (poignent) assessment : Rooftops - for stating that this discussion would not have taken place on the bbka forum (with uknowwho jumping in banning all in sight ) my words nor RT's but i got the sentiment right?

Best humerous statement - the poster who tried to justify his reputation by saying ".....ask my wife?....." then thought a bit more and added ".... But don't ask my daughter."

Then we could get serious i suppose and have

Best constructive arguement? Anybody?

Regards

FB

(light blue touchpaper - retire)
That should do it?

Last edited:
Hello admin

On a serious note (and it does happen occasionally with me) this thread should come with two things based on my own experience.

A preface (a preview? A warning) It is possible to commence reading the thing without realising the sheer size. Before you realise it you are two hours in and have not stratched it? The preface could contain a realistic assessment of how long it would take to conduct a thorough read - in my case 10 hours plus.

A warning to take notes of points of interest and post number. It is difficult to cross reference back when arriving at the end of 88 pages of posts. Having read it all in one go, i would now have appreciated knowing this at the start .

For those who are interested in the content but do not have the time/resilience/attention span etc to read it all, an appraisal of the threads contents would be an alternative?

It might also assist those of us who have read it!!

Regards

FB

Latest posts

Back