Import of NZ bees into UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I notice you side step the fact that my entire business is based on my ethics.

I didn't side step anything. If I didn't mention something it's because I thought it was obvious.

Ethics differ from person to person.
One person harasses another about their ethics, and yet cuts and paste private messages to a public forum which I think is highly unethical.

There's plenty of arguments I could have won on this forum by doing that. I wouldn't.

I didn't side step anything. If I didn't mention something it's because I thought it was obvious.

Ethics differ from person to person.
One person harasses another about their ethics, and yet cuts and paste private messages to a public forum which I think is highly unethical.

There's plenty of arguments I could have won on this forum by doing that. I wouldn't.

Fair enough.
As long as you're not suggesting it was me that published a PM. Not guilty of that.

MBC, If you order queens from a supplier I know they come through the post in a Jiffy bag. They come with a health certificate from the country of origin but there are no checks at this end. Large numbers of queens must come in like this every year with no records in the UK of their arrival. You could machine guns up at the ports but it won't stop the mail.

International post is scrutinized for various things in various ways - as you would expect if its given any thought.
If it were made illegal then if bio security was given even a low priority, postal queens could be intercepted and the miscreants brought to justice and I'm sure it would only take one or two publicised fines for the practice to virtually stop

I have had no experience of BIBBA but, from some of the comments by others on here, they are maybe not too great at actually supplying queens when needed. So, there are basically two options - all those with queen rearingexperience join BIBBA and help to improve the way they operate or they set up their own organisation.
Job done.....? :seeya:

BIBBA are a nice bunch, but apart from being difficult to get queens off (and may not be up the standard some people expect), their methods are very out of date.

You don't need to setup an organisation to breed better queens, you just need to get a group of like minded people to work together.

What I am trying to gently do Somerford is to highlight the size of the issue.

"250k" is a figure on which anyone can make assumptions.

However is it a starter figure at all?

I doubt that anyone in the country can give an accurate figure for the number of hives owned. There are a fair number of beekeepers who are not Association members nor want to be.

I myself played fair with the BDI, but if I hadn't fessed up on Beebase how would they have ever known of my existence.

It is all very tricky.

PH

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

It's the responsibility of a foreign queen supplier to put the health certificate with a consignment of queens, plus fulfil any regulations at their end. If they send queens in a jiffy bag they've done nothing wrong.

It's the responsibility of the importer to notify the NBU that they are on the way (5 days advance if I remember correctly). If you don't do this and get caught then you are the one in trouble, not the supplier. I can well believe this responsibility gets overlooked by some, but anyone importing queens in volume will surely be familiar with the process and would be foolish to not comply.

so... go out and do something about it? (like an activist!?)

surely 'squawking' and gaining support is a better first step if that way inclined.

I agree with doing something practical such as raising the shortfall of queens is useful, but it IS only mid-march. It is a bit early for that sort of thing!

Too early to be planning and preparing?

BIBBA are a nice bunch, but apart from being difficult to get queens off (and may not be up the standard some people expect), their methods are very out of date.

You don't need to setup an organisation to breed better queens, you just need to get a group of like minded people to work together.

I agree Crg. Since that post I have had some contact with BIBBA. I have found them to be pleasant and very helpful and, the way I understand it, they facilitate exactly what you suggest - small groups of like-minded people getting together to improve their breeding stock.

That's an over simplified media idea.

That would be excellent, but I can't see UK beekeepers working together - even if it would benefit everyone.

Re: Egypt - yes, you have a point about Facebook / Egypt, but it's true that any positive action almost always begins with a few people bemoaning their lot.

Re: beekeepers working together - you are right I'm sorry to say, but it shouldn't stop us trying.

The northern tip of North Island is subtropical and rarely gets so cold the bees cannot fly.

Interestingly, not much queen rearing (that I know at least) is done up that way. A lot of queens I know of coming from NZ to the UK are from the South Island (not sure why - possibly because there's less people/less interference?)

I've kept bees in the north(ish) of NZ, and the advantage NZ has is being very pragmatic, and as you say "can do" mentality, and less time spent around complaining or wanting to work against everyone else.

Wow! That certainly puts it in context.

Should not get to excited over the accuracy of the NBU, i imported twenty queens, and had a phone call from the bee inspector imforming me i had imported 400,after he had been called by his employers at that place, telling him this false imformation..

Finished!!

Bingo! Done it all 86 pages.:p!!
Started at 8 am ish and other than brief interludes to eat/drink and be soundly thrashed by daughter at mario racing, have read all of it.

Got the one conclusion - it's me who deserves the medal?

Got to get some sleep now whilst considering all the points made and the examples of human behaviour! If the news breaks between now and say 7am as to the update and/or identity of the negotiators, would someone please ring and wake me?

Regards:smilielol5:

FB

Wow! That certainly puts it in context.

Should not get to excited over the accuracy of the NBU, i imported twenty queens, and had a phone call from the bee inspector imforming me i had imported 400,after he had been called by his employers at that place, telling him this false imformation..

In which case surely the first call to government is to get the system sorted out so that a) the current regs are enforced effectively and b) w can have a true picture of the current situation.

What about that for a facebook campaign- or not exiting enough?

Update..well a little bit.

No news about my missing man, the search goes on, but as he is a survival expert who can happily live off the land for extended periods and only move at night we have little hope unless he makes a mistake. He may already be out of the country.

As regards the bees project, well I will only reveal what has gone on once the whole thing is finished, and it is close to being so. I did say what was the only issue that had rather caught us unprepared, and that was Ron Hoskins project. The rest we expected and nothing has come up that is not included in our reckoning from a very early stage.

I am now in dialogue with Ron, who I am finding to be a pragmatic and interesting guy, and am confident we can reach accomodation soon. As I said all along I have no ill will against him or his project. No details of what we agree will be posted on the forum, without either Ron doing it or his express approval to do so. I think Ron and I will get along just fine, and his project will continue undamaged, possibly even marginally enhanced.

I can also now reveal that no further specific siting information will be given out on forum. This is not for any sinister reason from my side, rather the receipt of two anonymous e-mails with spoofed addresses threatening to come round and destroy the whole project. 'torch the lot' was the term used in one and a variant of that in the other. I thought it an empty threat and took no notice, until someone pointed me in the direction of post 47 in the thread............. being prudent from now on just in case of the remote possibility someone is serious. Some on the forum have already heard from me privately about this. Just for clarity, I suspect the messages came from one person, probably NOT Somerford, but someone inspired by what he wrote.

Until (and indeed if) Ron chooses to break cover I will be quiet about any details of our private discussions. Fwiw, the person involved in getting us to talk was Brian Riply (the big name I mentioned long time back). I am grateful for his intercession and indeed to John Home, BFA chairman, for his input with Brian.

The compromise is good news.

As for the sinister emails that’s not good at all and will not like to think anyone on the forum or connected to beekeeping even how apposed they are could not or would not do anything to harm the bees, they are bees after all and non of us will harm one if it was possible.

I don’t know how people got your email address as from my memory you have not posted it on the forum but then again you perhaps like many of us communicate with it and it in places may be public record.

I hope nothing serious comes of the threat, the Animal Rights Brigade or what ever they call them selves comes to mind and if you suspect it also to be the case I suggest you report it to the police.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back