Import of NZ bees into UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No matter how passionate you are NO government is going to pull out of either for the sake of black bee enthusiasts

I never mentioned black bee's,just good Queens...from what we already have.

Bee-Key-Pur said:
What if you were able to keep the foreign bees out, even the healthy ones, will you be turning your efforts to keeping out people of colour?

I'm sorry but comments like that are not helpful. Think before you type.:icon_bs:

Tom Bick said:
Quite agree gbh mo place for comments like that

What's so wide of the mark about the comment? Seems to me one of the principal objections to these imports, aside from the biosecurity aspects inherent in their importation, is their species, their genes, the fact that they are outsiders. A couple of dozen pages back the concern was that their "NZ genes" would pollute Ron Hoskins' mating stocks. The observation that they would simply replace other commercially-managed stocks on the same site and hence provide the same quantity of background 'noise' in mating terms was rebuffed precisely because of their unwanted "NZ genes".

Conservation of species takes an almost diametrically opposite view to that taken regarding people & society. The concept that a species or race has a right to live in an area, and that other incoming species should be controlled or expelled is commonplace in conservation. Can we not be grown up enough about this to acknowledge that, or are we simply trusting knee-jerk responses and politically correct arguments to steer us through?

So, yes, a significant UK based production could be set up, but the queens will COST. Now, do I want a queen bred in say Kent with no definite pedigree and no health certificate, or one bred in , say Germany, which has both and is much cheaper?

A good reputation trumps any other selling point for queens of any origin. For me that's more important than a recognised pedigree or a health cert. (which are just pieces of paper after all - not absolute guarantees of quality). I rear my own (with mixed success) but also buy in from good sources. One such source is Ged Marshall who rears queens in Bucks/Herts (can never remember which). They are first class queens UK reared, though he does rely on exchanging breeder queens with a Danish breeder I believe.
Cost is a big difference. I don't think there's much change from £30 from Ged's queens. But if you're paying for an imported queen from some of the suppliers it will cost the same. The only way currently to get cheap queens is import in bulk (hundreds) yourself as Murray is doing.
I think Murray is spot on about the "can do" attitude elsewhere. It's much rarer in these parts but needn't be. If somebody suitably skilled had a mind to do it I don't see why a large scale queen operation couldn't be established selling good value UK queens. But it won't happen overnight.

But to think that it can provide a service for associations is not good news to me if an association is not maintaining very strict hygiene standards in its apiary’s at all times and teaching such things that they need the service of this plant is very wrong indeed. It puts an image of stacks of old brood boxes stacked up full of old comb awaiting to a time when they have sufficient numbers to make the trip worthwhile and not a good thought or teaching practice.

??? Really, this post turns the idea on its head. the idea of the plant is to eventually eliminate the stock of really old comb in the units of those who participate, and to make comb replacement easy and not a long and tedious chore that may or may not get done. however, do your own by all means. In some ways the sterility is a second aspect, after easy comb replacement. To that end we are drilling out all our BS frames and eyeletting and cross wiring them so it is a simple boil out and re-embed job.........about 6 mins a box and all is done, ready for back to the bees.

That is the crux of the matter, it makes the job easy and achievable, but I have about 10000 boxes of comb to deal with........try doing THAT the old way. I am not alone. Outfits as far away as Hampshire are already wanting time on the plant.

The only way currently to get cheap queens is import in bulk (hundreds) yourself as Murray is doing.

These are actually anything but cheap. Selection is for meeting our criteria, not for price, though of course at £30 a throw it would be too high. Not saying what they actually DO cost, but they are SO good it is value for money. Assured health and suitability has been the driving force on this.

??? Really, this post turns the idea on its head. the idea of the plant is to eventually eliminate the stock of really old comb in the units of those who participate, and to make comb replacement easy and not a long and tedious chore that may or may not get done. however, do your own by all means. In some ways the sterility is a second aspect, after easy comb replacement. To that end we are drilling out all our BS frames and eyeletting and cross wiring them so it is a simple boil out and re-embed job.........about 6 mins a box and all is done, ready for back to the bees.

That is the crux of the matter, it makes the job easy and achievable, but I have about 10000 boxes of comb to deal with........try doing THAT the old way. I am not alone. Outfits as far away as Hampshire are already wanting time on the plant.

Yes great and it’s a good thing for the professional but I was suggesting not good for the associations they have many hands and new beekeepers that need to be shown how to clean and sterilise equipment it’s should be one of the first lessons in the apiary. For you a professional it’s a great bit of kit.

What do you mean by old comb, comb that is two years old?

I like the wire bit I to am moving away from foundation, is this going to be across the board with you or just small scale.

Yes great and it’s a good thing for the professional but I was suggesting not good for the associations they have many hands and new beekeepers that need to be shown how to clean and sterilise equipment it’s should be one of the first lessons in the apiary.

No argument from me on that. However, when you can get the whole job done for no more per frame than the sheet of replacement wax will cost you from T*****s........food for thought. However, there is also the second fator that i will miss and no doubt not alone in that.......demonstrably having nothing to do when seeking to avoid Shopping/Ikea/vacuum cleaner.or most feared of all.....'We need to talk!'

What do you mean by old comb, comb that is two years old?

That is very much subject to the eye of the beholder. To me anything black irrespetive of age, or 5 years old, whichever comes first. All frames are being date stamped since the 2009 outbreak to be sure we know how old they are. It is not anticipated that most brood combs will reach year 5. I used to have lots that were 40 and 50 years old, still perfectly good.

I like the wire bit I to am moving away from foundation, is this going to be across the board with you or just small scale.

We are converting everything, supers and deeps over. makes replacement so fast and easy, but of course it is much more work at the outset.

Off out now for the night, swimming and gym then, will not be back till morning, so if anything crops up on here I will not be around to answer it.

Threads go in the direction they go. They are unsteerable as such.

PH

And it adds to the interest of a thread, as was mentioned on the forum previously....they wander around a bit,kind of diversity...anyone going fishing this weekend?

Not been fishing for years. Coarse season is now closed.

I still have the half-bale Mitchel reel that was either used by the winner (or was runner-up) in the 'All England Championships' some time in the 1950s! My brother has the Apollo(?) steel rod that was used at that match (I believe). It certainly arrived from our relation at about the same time. I have his old pike rod - more like a sea fishing rod by todays standards!

Regards, RAB

OOPs, wrong thread?

Not been coarse fishing for years,but enjoy trout fishing or sea fishing when i get time,which is not often enough. Also have a nice collection of very old fishing rods in a long wooden box, bound with leather straps, victorian i believe,plus some nice old greenheart and split cane salmon and trout rods.
Prefer the more modern carbon fibre type rods though. Whats the biggest fish you have caught Rab.(........) (.....................) (......................................................)

Now come on...no taking a breather from the main issue...talking about leather bound equipment!!!

May as well be talking about golf ...

I snapped my fathers leather bound hickory clubs in the rough when I was younger...

Oh come onnnnn! Keep it real...
:biggrinjester:

Sam

It seems that there are a number of posts ref this steralisation plant...nothing against it per se but perhaps more suitable for another thread ??

S
There's the control again, threads aren't 'owned' by one person!

Not been coarse fishing for years,but enjoy trout fishing or sea fishing when i get time,which is not often enough. Also have a nice collection of very old fishing rods in a long wooden box, bound with leather straps, victorian i believe,plus some nice old greenheart and split cane salmon and trout rods.
Prefer the more modern carbon fibre type rods though. Whats the biggest fish you have caught Rab.(........) (.....................) (......................................................)
Sorry to but in...had a reasonable Conger from Blue Anchor beach.:D Winter...no bees.

I snapped my fathers leather bound hickory clubs in the rough when I was younger...

I put my fathers best leather bound riding crop through a chaff cutter,after he decided to use it to discipline me when i was a kid.:hurray:

I put my fathers best leather bound riding crop through a chaff cutter,after he decided to use it to discipline me when i was a kid.:hurray:

I think some are getting bored! talk of leather straps, riding crops, hand-cuffs oops! no one did, just a slip of the tongue......now did someone say thong? :D

You could be right TBRNoTB....there does seem to be something fishy going on,not quite got the grasp of it yet.

Latest posts

Back