Import of NZ bees into UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is reverse reasoning.

My decisions are not born out of resistance to doing things, they are born out of seeing how a thing should be best done. Positive decision making not negative.

Your labelling idea is not practical and has no relevance to the honey quality. It would have enormous implications for the entire British bee industry, unless of course you want the Co-op alone to self stigmatise their product, albeit in the eyes of relatively few people.

In terms of who has done anything to help the British bee industry, especially at amateur level, they are second to none. The term 'bite the hand that feeds you' springs to mind. Beekeepers of all scales seem extremely good at that.

And the Co-Ops answer is ............

The origin of the bees has nothing to do with the geographical or quality criteria of the honey. What is the origin of the bees that produce honey in the UK? - France, Holland, Germany, Greece, Cyprus etc etc.

Can you ask the Co-op to clearly state on the front of their labels that the origin of their honey bee's is New Zealand .

Mind you, this could be turned back on you big style, whilst all the same granting your request..........

'Specially produced for us on our own farms using bees of the very highest health status, sourced with care from pristine New Zealand, resulting in the finest honey of guaranteed provenance.'

Not my call anyway, and I do know that the relevant dept is reading the thread. Some helpful subscriber here, I do not know who, is sending them 'it all'. Strangely edited however, only the negative posts being forwarded.

The origin of the bees has nothing to do with the geographical or quality criteria of the honey. What is the origin of the bees that produce honey in the UK? - France, Holland, Germany, Greece, Cyprus etc etc.
As a consumer I would like to know , thats all

hmmm...you know what... I think that this snake may start eating its own tail soon...

Last edited:
Coming back to labeling:
What is unfair is that in Cyprus and Greece we are NOT allowed to have the word "PURE" on our labels. Yet Chinese honey is imported into the UK, mixed with "EU" honey (which is probably also of Chinese or Argentinian origin), labeled as " Pure Blossom Honey" and then shipped over here and sold on the shelf next to Cypriot or Greek honey which are at a marketing, selling and advertising disadvantage because of this. Furthermore there is no name and address of the produce or packer other than A N Other Apiaries in the general description ........ it is not fair trading.

Coming back to labeling:
What is unfair is that in Cyprus and Greece we are NOT allowed to have the word "PURE" on our labels. .

honey isn't pure.... it has pollen grains in it

As a consumer I would like to know , thats all

So your not interested in the country of origin of the product, nor the country of origin of the queen (if I understand this right), but you think the co-op should identify one of the countries where she may have been mated.

Last edited:
Have posted a few pictures in a public album. Nothing exciting, but give you some idea of what we are up to. These are hives in the Co-op first unit, in Aberdeenshire. Winter shots are near Monymusk, a tiny village WNW of Aberdeen, with quite a harsh climate.

Nice pics,and I see you have the boss with you to keep an eye on things.

I have a few grandkids myself,its always great to spend some time outside with them amoung the bees.

Quality time !!

Any chance of seeing some pics of your extraction room ect ?

p.s Welcome to the forum..

Nice pics ITLD.
do you use only poly, or do you have some wooden hives as well?

Any chance of seeing some pics of your extraction room ect ?

p.s Welcome to the forum..

Thank you, felt I needed to be here.

No pics of extracting plant right now, and plant all dismantled and mothballed for winter. (We empty the room and the team do frame making/repairing/waxing in the nice warm place.)

Building anew place over the next few months, pics could be taken then.

Nice pics ITLD.
do you use only poly, or do you have some wooden hives as well?

Everything new is in Poly. Production runs about 20% ahead of wood, averaged over last 14 years. Easy to run, great wintering, cheaper, and the frames are international standard sized and can be bought anywhere. as you may notice, one size of box only.

We have 800 Smiths and 500 Langstroths in wood, and they will keep running until we reach our limit, then gradually be replaced.

Had a smaller unit of Nationals too acquired on the death of another beekeeper. We sold them as they are far less efficient to run. Just altogether a more awkward beast meaning we got through about 20% less hives in a day ang gear for them is UK maker specific and thus not generally available at viable pricing.

Latest posts

Back