I'm taking my first bbka module exam.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those interested in taking Module exams, it’s just been announced that a new on-line system has been trialled and they will go ahead on 24/25 April 2021. There have been no exams in 2020 due to Covid. They plan to offer written exams again in November. No details on how the online system works yet but presume you’ll need either an inbuilt camera to your PC or a webcam so invigilation can take place. Applications deadline is 31 January 2021. The application form can be downloaded from the BBKA website. £30 per exam & you can take up to 2 modules in April. Usual process is to send your application to your local BKA association education secretary, who’ll then let you know how it all works in time. Or if you’re not a member of a BKA you can apply direct.

Aren't the BBKA lucky that they have access to a forum that actually gets frequented to advertise all their 'courses'
It’s getting a little tiresome.
Can you BBKA acolytes maybe do this all by PM or on the BBKA forum?

For those interested in taking Module exams, it’s just been announced that a new on-line system has been trialled and they will go ahead on 24/25 April 2021. There have been no exams in 2020 due to Covid. They plan to offer written exams again in November. No details on how the online system works yet but presume you’ll need either an inbuilt camera to your PC or a webcam so invigilation can take place. Applications deadline is 31 January 2021. The application form can be downloaded from the BBKA website. £30 per exam & you can take up to 2 modules in April. Usual process is to send your application to your local BKA association education secretary, who’ll then let you know how it all works in time. Or if you’re not a member of a BKA you can apply direct.

Thanks I've received an email saying the same thing, I hopefully will do mine in November..

I
Yes, it gives you a pretty piece of paper to hang on your wall!
Much like winning at a show then!
I too do not go in for certificates, but do have a thirst for knowledge, both practical and theoretical. If a BBKA syllabus gives me a structured way of gaining knowledge then I will use it. I have studied many of their modules but not sat the exam.
I believe I am a better beekeeper for it, as the knowledge of bee biology and physiology etc often helps me figure out what is going on when I see something unusual in a hive - a thinking beekeeper not just one reciting a blind mantra.

For some people the exam route is the only option to expand their knowledge.
No learning about a subject is bad, how that knowledge is interpreted can be a bit dodgy in some cases.
Easy for some that are a little bitter to mock and scorn others that want to learn in this way.

The BBKA is an out of touch, selfish, self gratifying, over opinionated organisation full of people that can dislocate their elbows to pat themselves on the back. But it is there to be used by the members for their own needs, if that is doing modules for your own personal development then fine I wish you well. I have done the same as there was no other route to learn available to me.

It was funny at the BBKA conference a couple of years ago when I had mistakenly booked a dinner, it reached a point in the evening about 4 pints in for me that they suggested a toast to the BBKA. " Bullshit, Bluster and Kissing Arse " I exclaimed in rather a louder voice than I had first thought. Half the room went silent and stared and the other half wet themselves laughing. The meal was somewhat amusing after that. I was sat next to a welsh guy that was a master beekeeper he spent most of the night wiping tears from his eyes and I told him how to fix his john deere tractor.

Much like winning at a show then!
I too do not go in for certificates, but do have a thirst for knowledge, both practical and theoretical. If a BBKA syllabus gives me a structured way of gaining knowledge then I will use it. I have studied many of their modules but not sat the exam.
I believe I am a better beekeeper for it, as the knowledge of bee biology and physiology etc often helps me figure out what is going on when I see something unusual in a hive - a thinking beekeeper not just one reciting a blind mantra.

Im wanting to expand my knowledge in bee biology and anatomy looking at the module for biology theres quite a bit to remember and for me to learn, am I able to just take which modules I like..?
Im more of a practical beekeeper and Im better in the field, This is what my mentor has said to me.
This season I went to perform a demaree on a colony that he said didn't need it, he was wrong as when I went to perform the task there wascharged qcs.
I ended up performing a a/s all cells bar one were left in the parent hive.

In my profession I'm always having to think a head in setting out a project and a work schedule..
This is beneficial to my beekeeping.

Im wanting to expand my knowledge in bee biology and anatomy looking at the module for biology theres quite a bit to remember and for me to learn, am I able to just take which modules I like..?
Im more of a practical beekeeper and Im better in the field, This is what my mentor has said to me.
This season I went to perform a demaree on a colony that he said didn't need it, he was wrong as when I went to perform the task there wascharged qcs.

In my profession I'm always having to think a head in setting out a project and a work schedule..

Knock yourself out then kid.
Nothing wrong with doing modules if you want to.
I've done 1,2,3,5 ,6 and will do 7 soon also done the general husbandry. 8 may have to wait until next year as time is short in the summer. Should have the master beekeeper qualification in the next 2 or 3 years for what it's worth.
Never had a mentor.
Never had any real use able advice so self taught.
Asked here a few years back and was ridiculed for it.
Screw them I'm a beefarmer now and doing quite well.
it's what you make of it not what others think it is.

There is a lot to be said for practical skills, experience and gut instinct ....

Very satisfying when you call the right shot.

Morning, I've come to reply to my recent thread on taking the modules and it's been closed.

I can't see that the thread went sour and bad language was being used..
Im a little peed of about it..
It's not my fault theres bad calmer between the bbka and this forum.
Why should it of been closed.??

Thanks
Mark😢🤨

carrying it on here then Curly, in answer to your last question on that thread, you can study any module you like, in any order. Like me you can use the syllabus to help gain knowledge. Whether or not you choose to sit the exam is up to you.
I could see nothing offensive in the previous thread too

Last edited:
Something is libellous only if it's untrue and harms their good reputation, surely?

I think the BBKA has built its own reputation over time, shirley.
Not all of their members are pompous, it seems to be human nature to have certificates and the bragging rights that go with them!

I did a module in Origami.. so don't go telling me how to fold paper!

Chons da

I thought the message was clear. If you want to continue to discuss BBKA exams, please use the BBKA forum......
Why though??
Is this not a beekeeping forum to discuss things all bee related?

Latest posts

Back