I'm taking my first bbka module exam.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve only seen this debate late, and don’t want to reignite anything. But why do people take exams in beekeeping? Is it only if you are thinking of gaining employment in beekeeping? Just a brief explanation from someone will do🐝

I’ve only seen this debate late, and don’t want to reignite anything. But why do people take exams in beekeeping? Is it only if you are thinking of gaining employment in beekeeping? Just a brief explanation from someone will do🐝
For some the mere pleasure of learning
For some to prove to others they have knowledge backed up with a certificate
For UK employment there is a Beefarmers' Association apprentice scheme and an adult equivalent

It's unfortunate that the thread turned into a theatre for bashing exam-taking.
It started out with a request by someone who had already decided to do one of the modules and wanted opinions from those who had. If people don't agree with exams they don't have to answer.

At no point did I suggest that exams were a substitute for practical experience. In fact, I said several times that different learning environments complement each other.

If someone wants to learn about e.g. bee anatomy, they could read up about it from any number of books. But the BBKA module facilitates that learning by offering a structured framework. Reading, by itself, can be a very passive activity with information quickly forgotten. The study groups offer opportunities for people to discuss the topics and benefit from each other's learning.

And the end result isn't just a piece of paper to hang on the wall (although I don't know anyone who even does that). The end result is improved beekeeping by understanding the theory behind the practice.

To the top bit of the post the op will still do the exams..
It doesn't matter if some of my ideas, methods are different or I think what's the point....

The point... Is, its learning, knowledge even if some of its a waste of time.

Ps I've not bought my pop corn.. To go to the theatre. ;):LOL:

For the love of learning or a feather in the cap and for some a certificate for the wall and for others just increasing, deepening knowledge and keeping the grey matter turning and alive.
I agree.. Increasing deepening knowledge.. For me

In some ways my bees are kept differently from yours. I don't have long hives or polys. I treat for varroa. But there are also many things we agree on, e.g leaving a super for the bees after extracting.

But never have I lambasted you for doing things your way or suggested that anything outside of Yates is heresy.
Not you ... or anyone on this forum but I was nearly put off beekeeping altogether at a BBKA stall at the Royal Newbury Show - before I had bees but I had built my hive, got my ideas in place and I asked this blokes opinion .. he told me initially that he was a master beekeeper and asked what sort of hive I had ...I then got a twenty minute lecture that 'people like me' were a danger to other beekeepers and that I was clueless and my bees would die ... I've met a few like that since at various events ... my way or no way ... forgive me if I have a slightly tarnished view of some of the doyens of beekeeping.

The NBU do an annual road show on diseases. There will usually be one at a BKA within striking distance Covid allowing. That is the single most useful thing you can do. You can look at actual diseased frames which is better than any module.
Travelled down to Burton Beekeepers in Derbyshire to do this 1 day course & I agree it’s v useful. Run by NBU inspectors who bring combs to show what the foul broods and other diseases look like in real life. Bring all the treatments and explain them, pros & cons. Demonstrate Bailey comb changes and cover all the main pests as well as diseases. Quizzes and slides shared & sent afterwards so you can share with fellow local beekeepers. Well worth attending. Also good preparation if you want to go on & take the ‘Honeybee health’ practical assessment which is a good stepping stone to ‘General Husbandry’ from ’The Basic’ for those that want a way of validating their learning

All education is good, alongside loads of practical experience and having a good mentor(s). Beekeeping would be less rich if we all had the same views or learnt the same way. 🐝

Last edited:
Travelled down to Burton Beekeepers in Derbyshire to do this 1 day course & I agree it’s v useful. Run by NBU inspectors who bring combs to show what the foul broods and other diseases look like in real life. Bring all the treatments and explain them, pros & cons. Demonstrate Bailey comb changes and cover all the main pests as well as diseases. Quizzes and slides shared & sent afterwards so you can share with fellow local beekeepers. Well worth attending. Also good preparation if you want to go on & take the ‘Honeybee health’ practical assessment which is a good stepping stone to ‘General Husbandry’ from ’The Basic’.

All education is good, alongside loads of practical experience and having a good mentor(s). Speak to as many beekeepers as you can and share views / ways of doing things. Ask to visit their hives with them. Watch how they do things. Listen and learn. Form your own views. Share what you’ve learnt on this forum. 🐝

I agree, Yes .. I did the one day Bee Health course a few years ago with our RBI and the SBI .. hands on with diseased combs, practical use of microscopes, a really great session on apiary hygiene and bio-security. It was a really worthwhile day - a lot of the theory I already knew but it put my reading into context and there is nothing to beat seeing the diseases at first hand and in a safe way.

I think there is always somethinng to learn in beekeeping - from other beekeepers, reading, watching how others work their bees, this forum, other beekeeping sites and eventually you will know enough to make your own decisions and what you do when they go belly up !

Hi, I've booked my first module exam for next spring but it's going to be on line by the looks.

If I get through the first one I plan to take more.
So far I've only put my name down and the emails I've received aren't very informative.

To those of you that have taken the first module, can you give me any advice and words of wisdom.
Many thanks

Mark.
I’ve sent you a conversation starter, I think/hope, about you joining our study group.
Bridget.

Not you ... or anyone on this forum but I was nearly put off beekeeping altogether at a BBKA stall at the Royal Newbury Show - before I had bees but I had built my hive, got my ideas in place and I asked this blokes opinion .. he told me initially that he was a master beekeeper and asked what sort of hive I had ...I then got a twenty minute lecture that 'people like me' were a danger to other beekeepers and that I was clueless and my bees would die ... I've met a few like that since at various events ... my way or no way ... forgive me if I have a slightly tarnished view of some of the doyens of beekeeping.

No doubt he was an advocate of the Cummings style of management.

I could think of lots of politer ways of telling you that you were crazy :alien::devilish::cool:

Last edited:
I have taken all the written papers. Some I found a little infuriating I admit, but on the whole I think they are brilliant. Without the modules I wouldn’t have studied bee anatomy that much, nor pollen for example. The modules pushed me into reading some brilliant text books, especially Cellea Davies. Fortunately our club has a comprehensive library, so I was able to borrow them. The history of beekeeping was surprisingly interesting too.
I was never academically gifted as school and didn’t go to Uni, and as a consequence spent a lot of time studying after I left school, through day release, open university etc etc, and I pretty much hated it, as I didn’t enjoy the subjects. The opportunity to study in later life something for sheer pleasure is great.
Has it made me a better beekeeper, I think the answer is yes, as I have a much more rounded understanding of all things BKing.
I did all but 1 of the modules the hard way through self study. Top tips would be to engage with fellow module takers on FB. Create a study plan based on the syllabus, get past papers and really understand how marks are distributed. Based on past papers you can pretty much guess what questions are likely to come up on the next paper.
Enjoy it, if it isn’t fun, then stop.

I could think of lots of politer ways of telling you that you were crazy :alien::devilish::cool:
Nearly 10 years on I do sometimes wonder whether I am ... you really do need to be slightly masochistic, if not completely bonkers, to become (and stay) a beekeeper !

Without the modules I wouldn’t have studied bee anatomy that much, nor pollen for example. The modules pushed me into reading some brilliant text books..
The opportunity to study in later life something for sheer pleasure is great.
Has it made me a better beekeeper, I think the answer is yes, as I have a much more rounded understanding of all things BKing.
Enjoy it, if it isn’t fun, then stop.
:iagree:
This pretty much sums up why I decided to do the modules.

Latest posts

Back