I'm making a hive and looking for a source for aluminium sheet and mesh floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All

I have tried a search but without much success.

A couple of questions about building materials.

Anyone know of a good source of aluminium sheet. Better still, is there a company that will cut it to size?

Secondly

Where do I buy mesh floor, preferably a company willing to pre cut it?

I'm sure my tin snips with will wreck a full sheet of aluminium!

Cliff

Type in goog search box wire cloth, it's already cut size, stainless steel is the best bet it will not be affected by OA.

John

I bought a few sheets off of ebay.
You wont wreck the sheet with snips, any bending is easily flattened out after cutting.

Darren.

I am also looking for ali sheets, and have made a list of local printers I will be ringing in the next few days to see if they have any used litho plates they wish to dispense with.

Ask Jeramy Clarkson if he has any old caravan sides.......................

seriously I bought a load of ally from a scrappie to make solar panels!
Cheap as chips!

Mesh or alli sheets are easily cut to size with decent scissors if you don't have tin snips.

Thing is Blackbrood that jtwirecloth are tried and very successfully tested.

I could post a host of addys for this and that, but I never do unless I have personal experience of the outfit. Which is only fair really.

The whole point of the forum is to share experience and to save making the same mistakes over and over.

PH

Thing is Blackbrood that jtwirecloth are tried and very successfully tested.

I could post a host of addys for this and that, but I never do unless I have personal experience of the outfit. Which is only fair really.

The whole point of the forum is to share experience and to save making the same mistakes over and over.

PH

What twoddle PH. The poster asked for sources and I obliged. He didn't state he wanted personal recommendations. So stop imposing your own believes on others. The chap on ebay has hundreds of positive feedback and as for the others they might be local to the poster, s/he might be able to pop round if only he/she knows of their existence. Its for the poster to decide if they want to use them or not, not me. If every one went only on personal recommendations of a company then all new start up firms would never get any custom!

As for your interpretation of what the forum is for, well that's your interpretation not mine.

BB

I have bought from the mesh company through ebay and was very pleased with the product and service. They have a website too. I bought galvanised as funds wouldn't stretch to stainless, I trimmed it to my size requirements size with tin snips.

I haven't bought mesh or roof sheets from Beehive bits but have bought other parts and would recommend them for service, price and quality.

I will second the link to 'The Mesh company'

Tried and very successfully tested. And much better value for money than the quotes from the wirecloth at Banbury.

I have supplied epoxy coated mesh, already cut to National/Langstroth/Dadant size, for over 10 years without any complaint. Plenty in stock.

I have supplied epoxy coated mesh, already cut to National/Langstroth/Dadant size, for over 10 years without any complaint. Plenty in stock.

Do you have a website Peter or is it contact you through the forum? Just looking for idea of prices and postage etc...

BB

Peterbees,

Please be aware that advertising on the forum, for business purposes, is not permitted.

Apart from that, the epoxy coated stuff is not so smart if one wants/needs to sterilise by scorching! A lot have finished with non-epoxy coated mesh, I am sure, simply by forgetting!

RAB

For aliminium sheet its worth looking for a company that makes ventilation ducting in your area. I have a local firm that sell it at £20 for a 8 x 4 sheet and an extra £5 to cut it to size.

Latest posts

Back