If you had to give me just one piece of advice........

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do not expect a honey crop - treat any surplus that your bees make for you in this 1st year as a bonus - then you won't bee too disappointed if you don't have a mountain of supers to extract come September...

Ben P

Hi Pete
As a relative newcomer i would say thats its a lot more involved than they would have you believe on the telly. You have to be a bit of a scientist and its not like keeping goldfish

That was wierd...I meant to say :iagree: to Monsieur Abeille's advice about tea, which worked when I look at the thread in 'threaded' mode, but now I changed back to 'linear mode' it has appeared at the bottom!

so my advice - learn what happens to posts when you post before you post
:ack2:

PS anyone know where?

Last edited:
"Always go to your hives with a plan, and when the bees invariably confound that plan step back and have a cup of tea while thinking through your options"

Je suis d'accord

Do not expect a honey crop - treat any surplus that your bees make for you in this 1st year as a bonus - then you won't bee too disappointed if you don't have a mountain of supers to extract come September...

Ben P

:iagree:

Remember the bees are making it for a reason, if they make spare then great, just don't deprive them for your own gain.

Measure twice, cut once! Especially when it comes to queen cells :)

and....

Join the local forum Social Group - (it's at the top of this page).

Take pictures and study them later, so you don't keep the hive open any longer than necessary.

Look for eggs <how many and the pattern laid per frame> and don't go trying to find the queen even if she is marked. If you happen to spot her its a bonus.

If in doubt ask for a second opinion...

Ok, three suggestions there but I think they are valid for everyone not just new bee keepers.

Beware the BLOBBY uniPOSCA poster pens for queen marking ... even when careful preparation has been made with the water based paint on the tip, the annoying pens can for no explicable reason drip an uncontrolled blob on a queen.... I launched one ( a BLOBBY uniPOCSAR pen that is) into space this morning...
now I will have to go and buy another!!!

any suggestions?

Beware the BLOBBY uniPOSCA poster pens for queen marking ... even when careful preparation has been made with the water based paint on the tip, the annoying pens can for no explicable reason drip an uncontrolled blob on a queen.... I launched one ( a BLOBBY uniPOCSAR pen that is) into space this morning...
now I will have to go and buy another!!!

any suggestions?

Blob from pen onto match, and from match onto queen. You did say you had 4 hands, didn't you?
;)

Don't try NOT to make mistakes, as you will only make more.

Be decisive. Go there with a gameplan and stick to it. If you find something you don't understand and can't work it out, close up and think about it. Better still come and ask someone here, as the bees will (usually) still be there tomorrow.

There is no such thing as too much kit. You can never have too many frames ready to be finished (certainly not in your first year).

Expect to make mistakes. I know I've said it before, but you will. But try to learn from them so you don't repeat them.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes, but try to make each one only once.

Fear of mistake often leads to inaction, inaction can be a mistake in itself!

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

if you ready anywhere that beeking takes only 5 minutes a week and is relaxing.....IT'S A LIE!!!!
it takes loads of time and is hugely stressful..in the first year anyways..

but i am assured it gets better

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

There are no stupid questions only stupid answers (but not often on this forum)!!!

Latest posts

Back