If you had to give me just one piece of advice........

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteL

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am new to this bee keeping adventure having got my first colony last night. I have one National hive in a field at the back of my house. I'm lucky enough to have access to a few experienced beekeepers and, if I have learnt one thing, it is that depending on who you ask, not only can advice be different but it can also be contradictory. So, I thought I'd open this sport up to a wider audience. Please, from your collective wisdom, each offer me one gem of advice. If nothing else you might all have a bit of fun 'discussing' the pivotal issues of beekeeping!

I wait with baited breath!

have another spare hive or nuc and frames sitting ready because your gonna need them..luck
Darren.

Keep your hands in your pockets for the first week & resist the urge to open the hive. Observe from a distance see what you notice without opening it

How can I possibly be expected to not look. I have a glass quilt on. Can I look through that?

injoy working with the bees enjoy just sitting and watch them come and go

avoid top bar hives like the plague

I have two bits of advice:

Don't buy leather gauntlets, and if you have already sell them as new to someone else.

Don't believe anything that beekeepers tell you :)

Don't let all the mistakes you will make (oh yes there will be several!) put you off, keep calm and carry on as they said in the war..........

Good luck and welcome.

FB

Have 50% more equipment than bees, you will need it.

I.e. One colony = Two hives, although you will get away with a spare brood body roof etc.

Two colonies= Three hives.

Four=Six etc.

I know you only asked for one suggestion but here is another very important one.

If you do not have the time to inspect your Bees then make time.

It is supposed to be a relaxing hobby, if you rush it is not relaxing and you WILL make mistakes and miss things.

Always go to your hives with a plan, and when the bees invariably confound that plan step back and have a cup of tea while thinking through your options.

Check the zip around your veil when you suit up. And check it again. Nothing worse than a frantic bee inside your veil.

And check it everytime you suit up. Never suit up in a hurry.

Oh and another one, practise lighting your smoker.

Expect the unexpected. From my limited experience whenever you think everything is under control and exactly as it should be then you open up and get a surprise. Bees do not read the books !!

Also expect to become obsessed especailly if your bees are close by (p.s - I love perspex quilts !)

Back