If you go down to the woods tonight ....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margob99

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
... you're in for a big surprise! :)

picture.php

Tonight I crept up with my camera, and took a "guess" picture in the dark. Then I put my hand out on the other side / back end of the hive, and I could feel the air being fanned through.

The bees are making honey! I always love it when they have their Midsummer Night Pyjama Parties :)

Newbie misconception here - I assumed they all went inside to bed at night so I've never gone down there after dark! :blush5:

I just went and had a look and there's quite a few on the landing board and in the entrance fanning. :)

Originally Posted by icanhopit View Post
one of the more delightful New Zealand traits

Ooh, you don't give up, do you!
:iagree::iagree::iagree:
merely an observation as I have been fortunate to have experienced many types of Apis melifera!

My Carniolians have really calmed down with this wonderful sunshine... but ( possibly a trait?) one has turned into a drone layer!!!!

the cornish black amms are feally racking in the bramble pollen taking full advantage of the changeable maritime climate here in the tamar valley
west country... fit for purpose!

the buckspinfasts local mongrells are just turning over... wait till the balsam gets going.. another foreign invader!

Oh no sorry........ no offence !

Ooh, you don't give up, do you!:smash:

Ooh, you don't give up, do you!not worthy

Last edited:
Originally Posted by icanhopit View Post

merely an observation as I have been fortunate to have experienced many types of Apis melifera!

My Carniolians have really calmed down with this wonderful sunshine... but ( possibly a trait?) one has turned into a drone layer!!!!

Would that be New Zealand carniolans, or Hawaiian, or from somewhere else? or are your New Zealand bees actually italians, or Amm?

New Zealand doesn't tell anyone much. If I have a Quercus robur, it doesn't matter if it was grown on a dutch or belgian nursery, its still an English oak! :beatdeadhorse5:

I've just seen your 'edit' notes - you're a girl (naughty girl's corner)?!

I always had you down as a fella for some reason :)

Oops.

QUOTE=icanhopit;259009]Originally Posted by icanhopit View Post

the cornish black amms are feally racking in the bramble pollen taking full advantage of the changeable maritime climate here in the tamar valley
west country... fit for purpose!

the buckspinfasts local mongrells are just turning over... wait till the balsam gets going.. another foreign invader!

Oh no sorry........ no offence !

Ooh, you don't give up, do you!:smash:

Ooh, you don't give up, do you!not worthy[/QUOTE]

Back