Ibuprofen and beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amitryptiline for neuropathic pain is used at far lower doses than it is for depression.

I used to laugh at the warning on the packet 'may induce suicidal tendencies'!! not exactly perfect for treating depression - as my doc told me crap as an anti depressant but great as a painkiller - you could also use it as well as diclofenac as a 'top up' unfortunately made me feel terrible even though it sorted the pain out so I came off it.

. . . . . . . . . . great as a painkiller - . . . . . . . . . made me feel terrible even though it sorted the pain out so I came off it.

If you take it too often the hangover can be terrible, but brilliant pain killer & brings back some feeling too!

Annoying thing is there is no injury where the pain is. Totally psychosomatic! Doubt that it has any affect on stings.

Had some other ones, something like Gabapentin? couldn't add up simple numbers after I'd got to the "full dose".
Dropped them like a lead ballon as soon as I could!

Had some other ones, something like Gabapentin? couldn't add up simple numbers after I'd got to the "full dose".
Dropped them like a lead ballon as soon as I could!

The doc has got me on gabapentin 2700mg a day, 60 of codeine four times a day and 10mg of amitryptyline at night and it still doesn't cover the pain when it's really bad. I've been referred to a pain clinic, so I'm hoping I can stop the pills and get other methods in place. By the end of the day I can barely remember my name, and I'm dozy at the best of times!

I do wonder, if I got stung, I'd even notice on that lot ;)

Thanks for all the comments. They were all about what to take and what not to take. No-one has said they think I should stop beekeeping, so at least I feel that I am being reasonable to want to continue.

Yes I know Ibuprofen is bad for the stomach but was also prescribed Omerpazole for this.

I have been trying to avoid taking the ibuprofen 24 hours before doing anything with bees, but perhaps it should have been 48 hours. All I wanted was a painkiller until I get a diagnosis and the right treatment, but it is over two months till I get the test and the ibuprofen is not even doing much good. Due to speak to the doc again tomorrow.

Spoke to a member of our BKA last night who has had a few episodes of severe reactions to stings last year (but not anaphylaxis) he's determined not to give up as it's a bit more than just a hobby. He has been up to Cardiff to see about desensitisation treatment and has undergone the initial tests - he showed be a letter he received from them this week, they reckon he has no problems with bee stings and it's probably down to the two painkkillers he uses on a regular basis.

Latest posts

Back