I need a new bee suit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPea

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
...my sister has just sewn up 7 holes in my bee suit veil - 3 of which I didn't know about!! She then petitioned my family to buy me a new one for my birthday, so anyone have any recommendations?

One that sees fit to use the highest quality zips available, made by a recognised quality manufacturer i.e. YPP
One where the zips don't fall apart in the middle before during or after an inspection (see above)
Washable without shrinking
Some degree of stretch
Tough enough to cope with kneeling down on rough ground to recover a dropped queen
Tough enough to cope with snagging on a broken tree branch
Thick enough so you can, if you wish, hold the smoker between your thighs
Cool for those stinking hot days when you need to find an unclipped queen and you have already spent two hours trying
Warm enough to wear over shorts and a t-shirt in a woodland apiary on a cool summers morning
In a wide range of sizes and fittings for those with long backs / short legs / long legs
Easy to put on over shoes or boots
No hidden crawl paths involving zips and velcro for bees to exploit
Quality velcro
A hood structure that holds the mesh well away from the nose and chin
A hood that when thrown back hangs naturally behind your head without excessively straining the zip
One with mesh that is easily and quickly user replaceable

If you find one, let me know.

All the suits seem to wear out. I replace the gauze and zips as needed. It is a boring and time consuming job to do by hand. Fragile P., will do it for you for a fee.

The main thing is to get a suit that is big. Less stings get through if there is a gap between the suit and you.

One that sees fit to use the highest quality zips available, made by a recognised quality manufacturer i.e. YPP
One where the zips don't fall apart in the middle before during or after an inspection (see above)
Washable without shrinking
Some degree of stretch
Tough enough to cope with kneeling down on rough ground to recover a dropped queen
Tough enough to cope with snagging on a broken tree branch
Thick enough so you can, if you wish, hold the smoker between your thighs
Cool for those stinking hot days when you need to find an unclipped queen and you have already spent two hours trying
Warm enough to wear over shorts and a t-shirt in a woodland apiary on a cool summers morning
In a wide range of sizes and fittings for those with long backs / short legs / long legs
Easy to put on over shoes or boots
No hidden crawl paths involving zips and velcro for bees to exploit
Quality velcro
A hood structure that holds the mesh well away from the nose and chin
A hood that when thrown back hangs naturally behind your head without excessively straining the zip
One with mesh that is easily and quickly user replaceable

If you find one, let me know.

You didn't mention pockets! :)

My new varifocals give me a very good and clear view of the mesh, but not of what's hiding beyond it. What do other speccies do to avoid the problem?

Either get a new single lens (not bifocal or varifocal) prescription with a longer focusing distance, or get a cheap (99p) pair of +2 or +3 reading glasses. Test them before buying, making sure you can focus on something about half arm's length from your eyes - or as far away as you expect to hold the frame you're inspecting.

Or you could try using a magnifying glass, which might be easier to focus but is harder to use if you're holding a frame in both hands.

...my sister has just sewn up 7 holes in my bee suit veil - 3 of which I didn't know about!! She then petitioned my family to buy me a new one for my birthday, so anyone have any recommendations?

How long has your suit lasted two seasons?

Bb wear or sheriff

When I first started I bought a cheep suit it lasted a season. If you look through the forum at similar threads you will see posts from people who have had BB wear or Sheriff suits for years and they are still in good condition buy cheap buy twice.

I have two suits in twenty odd years of bee keeping .
First an atomic submariners overall £8 from a farmers market on which I planted a veil.
Second a full sheriff suit which cost considerably more!
Both are still in use, the ad hoc one is used by my wife when giving me a lift harvesting honey! I have to admit, the veil has bleached out in the sun and could do with replacing. The sheriff is still pristine after umpteen machine washes . I simply tuck veil into body of suit , zip suit up to the collar and wash at around 40c, full spin speed ,no probs !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SWMBO and a friend at the association have both recently bought full suits from Buzz beekeeping that seem to have good quality material/zips/stitching

SWMBO and a friend at the association have both recently bought full suits from Buzz beekeeping that seem to have good quality material/zips/stitching

My spare one is from Buzz - not bad for the price - If i ecall on here it's a bit of a lottery: some good some bad.

Anyone know what the fencing AIO's from ****** are like? I'm in desperate need of a new one!
I bought cheap, I'm buying twice!

:iagree:

Had my bb wear for 5 years and my sheriff for 6

Oops it's a "pains" when that happens!

I have one of their's and it is BBWear with a Pain badge on it, the BBwear logo is still on it. They even use the same BB501 product code and charge 1p less than BBwear. Mind you I know that WSBKA has a 20% discount if ordering direct from BBwear at the moment, and im sure others will be to.

Hi

Sherrif are fantastic and after sales repairs have been great. They have even customised items on request when i wanted a suit for Africanised bees.

Ian

Latest posts

Back