I know we are all beekeepers, but apart from that, what is your main occupation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked for 21 years as a wood machinist got made redundant, then drove busses for 4 years got really peed off with all the agro and I am now a seasonal groundsman for the council.:cheers2:

I work in a quarry and as it's a family run business i drive and repair all the machines and vehicles.

so if anyone is need of rockery or walling stone drop me a PM.

Occupation

Engineer
Rose through the ranks,became factory manager for Ten Years, High-dived off the corporate ladder 2007 now back as an Engineer (Electrician) at a world famous biscuit factory.
Yes you do get sick and tired of seeing Chocolate!

Electronics engineer, mostly design embedded systems i.e. control circuits with a microprocessor. Great fun but the hours can be long when working for startups if you are not careful!

Hobbies: Amateur radio - mainly HF, gardening / allotmenteering, dinghy sailing / racing, motorcycling and or course bees :D

I'm another who's succumbed to IT although strangley I've i've often thought about being a driving instructor. It's odd but beekeeping is an escape to another world for me.

A researcher - in crop genetics - for 32 years, but in my less settled moments I've certainly shared aspirations to join some of you in driving instructing, plumbing, IT of some kind, postie ... though I've never had much desire to shove my hand up pregnant livestock!

The beginners I've got to know in the last 2 years include ... helicopter pilot (no, he didn't help take my colonies to the heather), senior banker (I forgive her), retired doctor, working catering equipment engineer.

Most keep chickens.

The research institute that employs me has had seven beekeepers on their books in recent years, perhaps from a total number of 400 staff in that period. Seems more than the average?

G.

left school on 96 were a baker till 98 and joined the army, quit that after 3y 7 months, started driving trucks till oct 07, worked in factory ( fords) got laid off in nov 08 now unemployed spending all my time, with my hobbies.... shooting,sea fishing,allotment and my bees..

had a busy year ( april till aug) collecting swarms
TB

I'm another who's succumbed to IT although strangley I've i've often thought about being a driving instructor. It's odd but beekeeping is an escape to another world for me.

an escape for me too! No offence to those that do, but I think doing beekeeping for a living would rub a lot of the shine from it...

Vet for 24 years. Father of 4.
Hobbies - beekeeping (for 35 years), cornish mining history, computers - unix & linux, music.

Last edited:
Butcher for the last 7 weeks. Previously a roof truss designer for 22 years.

hairy builder, for most of the life did. 3 years engineers army, went mad and was asked to leave.then 8 years abroad work and traveling, now i do mostly, building the inside walls in offices and schools and hospitalsand big tin sheds and industrial units etc, started three years ago to improve ones self with collage and university night courses, gordon brown stopped that when i had 6 months off work over the last winter, so started back where i started and i am back on the tools again, i absolutly hate it i can not say how much i hate it, but the important things to me are the hobies and toys

which are land , i am a country boy by birth and love, growing, working, hunting and fishing, shooting,and many other banned or unliked sports, i also have an un healthy appatite for vintage rotavators called howard gems, manly because i cant put a tractor in the back garden,i would love to have my own bit of land to play with but time and money dont allow, i also do home brew wine and beer and love making stupid wooden toys for my grandson and most things wood intrest me as well , i have had a mid life crisses and started to fly small kites aswell, i also do videos and beekeeping, i started bee keeping at school and have always tried to keep and intrest in it evan when doing other things, started to keep bees full time again around ten years ago and normaly keep around ten hives for my self, but have started to play with bigger numbers but mainly for fun rather than a proffit

Prison Administrator for 28 years but retired earlier this year (ill health). I find beekeeping relaxing therapeutic a joy. Oh and a worry, full of anxious moments, concerned about weather etc etc etc.

bee-smillie

Joined the Royal Marines at 16. Passed Commando course at 17 and found myself in Borneo. Served for 22 years in Commando Units and others.
Left Royal Marines and joined Prison Service for 13 years,
Now retired and apart from keeping bees I enjoy microscopy and microtomy.

A quiet life really.

Regards;

Well done Bcrazy,after all those years service for our country, you deserve a quiet life.

Latest posts

Back