I know we are all beekeepers, but apart from that, what is your main occupation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did my BA degree in crop husbandry, now working in the farm and playing around with all kind of big toys:) general interests bees, aikido, motorbikes, music.... etc.

Lauri

Royal Navy aircraft engineer, spent the last few years working on Army Lynx now got an office job to do with helicopter engines.

other stuff I do include dog agility, motorbikes and now bee's

Ex driving instructor now IT Network Administrator, they seems to be a pattern....

Started work as a scenic carpenter till I managed to take the top of my thumb off with a bench saw. Still like to do a bit of wood welding when I can. Since then I've been in the electronic/electrical service industry, repairing everthing from pinball machines to 300A/500V switch gear. Does being a lone parent count as a job? if so being doing that for the last 20 years as well!!

Mike.

Wow, do I stand on the shoulders of giants!

Last edited:
or even the shoulders, much less painful

started off to be a marine biologist, mechanical engineer for 5 years, building industry for 3... accidentally fell into the computer industry and now 18 years later, a Technical Director for a Server\Telecoms company...

Left School at 16
Went to College and trained to be a Chef.
Found the job hard work and never seemed to get any time off.
So left and got a job in the NHS
I have spent the past 29 years working as a Psychiatric Nurse
Its been an amazing 29 years as well.
I have seen some incredible changes in my job,
and probably could write a book, if anyone would believe me.
Counting down to claiming my pension now though.
4 More years left.
Then something different.
Maybe look after Bees :)
My wife and I are also Foster Carers for Social Services,
and have looked after 126 children over the years.
We currently have 2 of the little angels living with us. :boxing_smiley:

Trained in farming at a very low level.

Building work which led via the site forman to offshore.

Various jobs ending up as Drilling Materials Senior Clerk which is a fancy title for the Drill Reps gofor and clerk. Well paid though. Quit after 28 years after a friend was killed through stupidity.

Now running a hotel in Castle Donington.

Started bees in 1987. Rapidly built up to 80 colonies and also running the apiary belonging to Craibstone North of Scotland college of Agriculture. Where Acarine was discovered and all the original slides were there.

Had the good luck to be mentored by arguably the most successful Bee Farmer in the UK.

Now running some 15 production hives and over wintering some 15 nucs.

Anything else you want to know just ask.

PH

I spent 30 years as a FireFighter, I have now retired from that 5 years ago.

I now do contract IT, mostly 2nd line support and troubleshooting, to suppliment my pension.

Starting next year I intend to transfer to beekeeping to suppliment my pension instead.

Yours Roy

I take ,it was a Bsc and not a Ba ??

Sandwich BSc .... spent a year with SmithKline Beecham.. what fun!

Veterinary Surgeon 22 Years, but now teaching Science in a secondary school.

Hi all

Retired Driving Instructor, Had enough after 16 years.

Get my OAP next May

Army officer (short service comm) --> 12 years in the t'Interweb and mobile phone industries working for one global corporation and one greenfield start-up (in a commercial capacity, not as a ponytail boy!) --> now a property developer within the family business across the north west and west midlands as well as being a part-time rare breed cattle farmer.

Penniless in the current climate.....but happy with my bees! :party:

CCTV and Telecoms engineer for the railway

I prefer bees any day.

I play with computers for a living.

I play with chainsaws, guns, bicycles, anything that runs on petrol and bees for fun. Not all at the same time!

Quit the rat race in 1997 after 26 years flying helicopters and 10 years as a pub landlord. Moved to France two years later and now do what I like when I like:)
Bees, Carpentry, Woodland management aka chainsaws, and guns - my cup runneth over.:hat::hat::hat:
Mike

RAF telegraphist/communication controller, analyst programmer, IT consultant and radio amateur/QRV.

Latest posts

Back